Haunted | Teen Ink

Haunted

By Athena560 BRONZE, Ralston, Nebraska
Athena560 BRONZE, Ralston, Nebraska

I walked up to the house slowly and cautiously, afraid the door was going to burst open any second. I knew something was wrong with the house. It was such a typical haunted house yet still terrifying. It was enormous, unusually large. The dark purple paint on the exterior was either peeling in one area or growing some sort of plant in another, possibly vines. I didn't know why it scared me so much. Yet I could feel the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end. What’s wrong with this house?
    The porch stairs creaked with unbelievable volume as I made my way leisurely to the spooky door, all the while hearing faint eerie laughter in my ear.
    Suddenly, before I had even reached the porch, the door exploded, flinging me backwards into the yard where I landed violently on my stomach, knocking the wind out of me. I gasped for air but it wasn’t working. My vision started going fuzzy and the last thing I remembered was being picked up and carried towards the house.
                               ****************
    I opened my eyes slowly and blinked several times to try to adjust to the exceedingly dark light. As I sat up, I could vaguely see the wall across from me. Standing, I held my hands out in front of me and began to walk along the wall down what I guessed was a corridor. Slowly, my vision came back and I could see a little better. The walls were painted black and were covered with torn portraits of random people. Some looked like an animal had torn them.
    I stopped dead in my tracks. Something was off.  I felt like I was being watched. Out of the corner of my eye I saw something move.  I whipped around and, seconds after, felt someone breathing down the back of my neck. My heart jumped into my throat, choking me. The air around me seemed to be sucked out like a vacuum, leaving me with nothing. I spun around again only to see and hear nothing except my own panting. What’s going on? Why am I here? Am I dreaming?
    “No.” I shrieked and jumped back. Who the heck was that?! Who just whispered that to me? I sounded like it was right next to me. “Who’s there?! Who are you!?”  Demonic laughter sounded throughout the halls. Looking around once again, I saw nothing. What is going on here?
    “AHHHH!” I screamed as a sword was slammed through my body from my back. I looked down at it and stared at the blood that glistened on the soaked blade. For some reason, it didn’t hurt that bad. It felt like a paper cut, which is exactly why I was petrified.
    I inhaled sharply as the sword was yanked out of my back roughly. I wasn’t even bleeding. Why wasn’t I bleeding?!
    “You thought you were scared before? Just wait until we’re done with you. You’ll discover a whole new level of pain. One you never thought possible.” I whipped around. No one. “What do you want with me?! Who are you?!” Suddenly a hand grabbed my shoulder and turned me towards him. I gasped. “You?!” He smiled evilly as he pushed me down to my knees. My shoulder began to burn, as if it was on fire. I screamed as he continued to shove me towards the ground. “You wanna know who I am?” He yelled through me screams. He knelt down in front of me and whispered in my ear, “I’m your worst nighmare. And I'm here to stay. Enjoy the never ending torture.” I howled louder as he pressed his hand harder into my shoulder.

This piece is probably one of my favorites. I feel like it really portays what I have to offer as a writer. I hope you like it. By the way, the end of the short story, to me, needs a little work. I wouldn't mind some ideas on how to finish it properly. Also I had to take out some words because I didn't know how language sensitive it is.