Friendship Never Lasts | Teen Ink

Friendship Never Lasts

By monikitty12 PLATINUM, New York, New York
monikitty12 PLATINUM, New York, New York

Don't cry because its over. Smile because it happened.

No matter how close you and your friends may seem like, that doesn't necessarily conclude that you guys will always stay together. Don't depend on friends, they will always leave you in the end. Friends come and go, and that is the truth. Whenever you feel like you've grown close with somebody, they will take advantage, hurt you, and step out of your life. 

They may be befriending you, but no friends are fully optimistic, and are always there for you. That's what I used to think. I used to have a friend that truly understood me, my everyday emotions, and pains. And she would always talk to me about her past and her mistakes and how she had learned from them and moved on. But now, we're strangers.

Friends have masks. They will somehow break in the end; they can't hold on, and sometimes they leave you because its best for the relationship. But other times, they leave because they are weak. They can't grasp the truth. They can't find themselves ever again. They are not the person they used to be when they met you. Memories changed them. The pain reached their souls, where someone else can not see their true form in. 

A shield of insecurities, fear, betrayals, an outburst of emotions are the key factors. Both of you guys will slowly drift apart, become distanced in your own thoughts, forgetting that the other one once existed in your lives. You guys may acknowledge each other, mutter a small greeting, but never really strike a real conversation ever again. It's simple. This is life, and we may never really see why this happens the way it does. 

Although both people in this past friendship will feel pain, one will feel stronger pain than the other. The friend that left the other already knows what pain feels like, he or she is letting the other friend know what she or he has been through. Somebody has left him or her too. This friend is only teaching the hurt friend how tragic and broken life can be. How love can break. How relationships can be torn apart, just like that. 

In conclusion, all people are born pure, but as one breaks, it passes on. It is a deadly cycle, one everybody will face at least one in their lifetime. Everyone will change their identity, because of society. Because of peer pressure. Because of pain. Because of knowing that love doesn't last forever. 

I want to let people know out there, that if they currently lost a friend they thought they knew, they are not alone. It is quite common, and the best thing for you guys to do is to move on. You can remember the memories, and learn to cherish them, but do not stay rooted in the past. Although it is hard to live in the present and look into the future, know that living in the past will get you nowhere in life. 

on Sep. 17 2015 at 9:25 pm

Wow, you are one lucky person :) not saying that real friends don't exist, but it is very rare that there would be that one friend that would stay with you and be there for you. I remember I wrote this article through one of my very tough moments of my life, and I wrote this out of nostalgia and sadness. I am very happy with you, and I hope that your friend would be that special person for you. And thank you :) very people say that to me, and I thank you for telling me to stay strong, and I would say the same to you. Stay beautiful and confident!!!

Cam_is_Away said...
on Sep. 16 2015 at 10:22 pm
Cam_is_Away, Non, California
How sad! I have many friends. True friends. I can say this confidently. Why? - Last month, my dad went into ICU. Immediately, our friends and family, some whom we hadn't seen in years, called us. Our family and friends who lived near us, they came by and sat with myanxious mother, and talked to dad during those brief moments while he lay awake. Some of our friends came by our home and took care of me and my siblings, taking us out to movies and such. It was incredible. And reassuring. (My dad did survive through it.) I don't know what's happened to you. But I tell you this - it IS possible to have a friend in this world. Still don't believe me? - My best friend, who I've known now for almost seven years, is two hundred miles away from me. We call each other at least once a week, and talk for hours. When she gets in trouble I take the long drive. When I'm hurting, she flies over. It IS possible. I am living proof. So keep your head up.