Why Can't I Have My Say | Teen Ink

Why Can't I Have My Say

By kmwalsh19 BRONZE, Beverly Hills, California
kmwalsh19 BRONZE, Beverly Hills, California

I have a lot to say, but unfortunately I can’t because of a number I was branded with my, age.

The youth of Australia, The future mother, fathers, CEO’s, military and even leaders of our nation. Ask any one of them and they will certainly tell you that they have a lot to say and opinions that matter on global issues. The one thing that often stops us from saying anything or being considered to having a valid point is a number that defines us all. Age.

I am a young girl with a lot to say and I want to be heard for example, I strongly support gay rights, if you love someone why can you not marry them. I always say that love is blind and that you can not help falling in love with someone so why have we as a nation put bands on what is perceived “normal”. We are in the 21st century and we are developing fast. You can’t stop the advancement of our nation you just have to go with it. The youth of Australia hold the key to the future but no one has realised that. This is my future and I want to live in a world where age is just a number and It does not affect who you are or what I am defined by.

People who were brought up where something was not considered a normality cannot possibly decide later on if that should become a normality or not. Politics and leaders of our nation are trying to have this insight to what Australia should be doing and what will benefit the future. What better way to get insight into the future of Australia then asking the  future of Australia. No matter how old they are we all have an opinion that should be listened to.

I consider my self a modern post feminist. I cannot tolerate gender roles or people saying you do this like a girl or you should not do something because your a girl.Yes I am a girl and I throw like a girl, I scream like a girl because I am a girl and I am proud of it. Honestly so many people think this is not an issue but it really is. I have so many times in teenager life where the boy has to call first or ask me out first. I am so annoyed because no one thinks I get affected by this but I do.

Age is just a number, it does not define me but I will continue to voice my opinion. The youth of Australia may not be wise but they have something that no one can take away from us and that is drive, persistence, passion and dedication. Young people if they feel so  strongly about something will go and get it. I recommend that everyone takes a moment to listen to the opinions of Australia's youth we have a lot to say.

I wanted to write this piece as I feel strongly about this topic and want other people to motivated as well.