How Rap Music Affects Teens | Teen Ink

How Rap Music Affects Teens

There are many different genres of music now days, but the genre I’ll be talking about is rap music. Rap music has changed juristically over the years. When rap music was first introduced in the late 70’s and the early 80’s it wasn’t really popular. It was said to be that rap music was too negative and that no one would want to listen to it.

Soon the rap game exploded all across the world and young teens were listening to it everywhere. Most parents would not want their kids listening to rap music because of how violent it sounded and they were worried it would turn their kids into “gangsters.” Even now in present days some parents still don’t want their kids listening to it.

Today I don’t think that rap music has the same affect it did on teens back in the 80’s and 90’s, because back then, the world didn’t know what young teens in troubled communities were going through, then when rap music came along people all across the world were hearing the truth about what goes on in the gang communities between the police and the troubled youth. The rap music evolved around the dangerous gang cities for example Compton, L.A was and still is one of the world’s most dangerous cities. 

Rap music is one of my favorite genres of music, because of how much history it holds behind it. Now days it can still affect a teen, because when you listen to it, aside the negative language it is pretty interesting because all of their lyrics reflect on what they went through on a daily basis growing up.