Monsters | Teen Ink

Monsters

By Maria_Johnson SILVER, Mt. Sterling, Kentucky
Maria_Johnson SILVER, Mt. Sterling, Kentucky

When I was little my mom would check underneath my bed every night for monsters; this continued until I about five years old. One day my older cousin and her friend was babysitting me and I saw these lines on my her friends wirst. So me being five asked her what they were she told me that the "monsters did it"; In response I asked her "if it was the monsters under the bed that did it". She responded "they were the monsters in her head telling her all these horrible lies and that every time they told her a horrible lie another line appeared".

Later that night my mom came up to tuck me into bed she asked "Do you want me to check monsters?" I remember thinking about it and answering "No". She seemed surprised by my answer she asked me "Why?" I told her about my cousin's friend and about how monsters live in my head and not under the bed. My mom climb into bed with me while she was holding me she whispered "My baby girls growing up and if those monsters ever start to scare you, you can talk to me about it" I didn't know what my cousins friend meant at the time but as I grow up I began to understand a little more each day.

I believe in monsters. Not just monsters under the bed but the monsters inside our heads that are created by basing ourselves off of what society says we should be. Like most people in today's society I have monsters that haunt me too. Some little; Some big I think my two biggest monsters are height and weight. For my height monster… I created it because society shows me that i'm not the average height of a girl my age. I've always been taller so my insecurities built up till it became a monster me horrible things about being tall,making me feel bad about myself.

My other biggest monster is weight there is always going to be this monster because society will always have this image of the perfect girl that every girl is supposed to portray. I've always been thick so this picture has caused me to be self-conscience about the way I look. Since I didn't portray this image it created a monster that I still have today telling me that I'm not "normal" and will never be good enough.

But those monsters don't control me, I still wake up every morning, put makeup on and smile. I have the right to not be like everyone else. The monsters never stop but if you find someone and tell them about your monsters it helps. Like when I was little my mom came in my room every night to check and after she checked it helped me sleep. The monsters might have came back the next night and the night after that, but at that moment I was fine because I had someone there who would listen to me and care enough to check.

Something I hope people get from this peice is that their not alone and that their not the only one who feels this way.