Smoking in Large cities | Teen Ink

Smoking in Large cities

By Racingandy GOLD, Taipei, Other
Racingandy GOLD, Taipei, Other

Big cities are often crowded with people. In these cities, have you ever come across people smoking on the street? Or do you smoke yourselves? People smoking these days could be seen everywhere in big cities. Many people don’t realize smoking, especially in public, can affect others around them, and that this action does not only ruin their health, it ruins others’ health as well. Therefore, smoking on streets of cities should be banned.

Compared to rural areas, the advantages of urban areas is that they are a lot more convenient. Everything is easy to reach within the area. This makes smokers convenient too. They can smoke anytime and anywhere they want to, as long as it’s not inside a smoke-banned building. However, in big cities, people are tightly packed together. Crowds of people travel in the streets every days. Because of this, people around the smoker can easily suck the smoke in, which can be bad for people who don’t like smoke. The amount of carbon dioxide and other poisonous gasses from vehicles and factories in urban areas are already a lot greater than in rural areas. Smoking in the area would just add on to people’s discomfort in life of living in the cities.

Also, sucking so much smoke into your lungs in not really such a good thing. It ruins your health. Banning people from smoking in the streets would reduce people’s chance of smoking. Some people may even quit smoking because of this. This is, in fact, a beneficial move for the current society. Although medication techniques may be getting better, there are more and more people with lung cancers due to the amount of people smoking. Any way to reduce the occurrence of smoking is a helpful move currently for one society.

Finally, new studies show that breathing in the smoke of other people smoking is actually worse than smoking themselves. Since 1964, for example, approximately 2,500,000 nonsmokers have died from health problems caused by exposure to secondhand smoke. This means smoking besides people is actually damaging other people more them you damage yourselves. Children have suffered asthma and other health problem every year because of sucking in other’s smoke. Many ignorant people have over looked this fact and continued to smoke while fooling themselves saying that them smoking is their own business. This is a selfish act and should be stopped before it gets any worse.

While smoking is indeed not a good thing to do, I acknowledge the fact that smoking is not easy to quit. Some people smoke alone, too, so they wouldn’t damage others. Therefore, people should be allow to smoke in especially labelled “smoking rooms” or any other areas that allows people who likes to smoke to do it while keeping a distance with others. This way, we can sufficiently reduce the amount of smokers, and at the same time let people keep their own rights to be healthy.