Do Not Homeschool | Teen Ink

Do Not Homeschool MAG

By NaomiScharf BRONZE, Sacramento, California
NaomiScharf BRONZE, Sacramento, California

published on Teen Ink’s website, author Alexis contends that “children who are homeschooled lack life experience, independence, and are deprived of normal school activities all because of untrained parents who are selfish.” I have experienced the life of both educational worlds, and I disagree. These are offensive stereotypes that do not represent all homeschoolers.

The statement that homeschooled kids do not have the same access to extracurricular activities is not necessarily true. Kids who do not have to be in school for the majority of the day have more time to pursue hobbies.  The idea that homeschooled kids will “be in total shock” when they transition to the real world is another ludicrous stereotype. Kids who have more time for out-of-school activities, like sports, are just as socially ready for the real world. Also, parents who teach their kids at home are not selfish or incapable. They know their kids better than any teacher and are able to judge what their children should and should not do.

These judgmental perceptions of home-
schooled kids are wrong. Think twice before you judge a person based on majority beliefs, and figure out your own opinion based on experience instead.

on Dec. 17 2015 at 12:00 pm
Thank you! I appreciate my readers and I hope you can get something out of my writing. Have a great day.

on Nov. 19 2015 at 10:06 pm
KateT2016 BRONZE, Sacramento, California
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
Congratulations on getting it published in their print magazine!! Also, for all the other awards you got haha ^_^