Feedback on "Agitated Earth" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "Agitated Earth"

By greninjash GOLD, New York City, New York
greninjash GOLD, New York City, New York

"Agitated Earth" by Ujjwal Khanal was a tear jerking tale definitely worthy of being published by Teen Ink. The article narrates the events of a tragic natural disaster seen from the eyes of a witness, the Great Nepal Earthquake. Khanal didn't realize the danger at first, as the first few tremors were minor. However, as the shaking gradually worsened, they would accumulate the power to obliterate the whole country in fifty seconds.
     I could feel Khanal's shock radiating through the magazine when she beheld the earthquake's aftermath. I can't even begin to conceive of what she saw when she emerged from the rubble, and the reporter describing the annihilation of the many Nepalese temples and monuments only tightened the knot in my throat as I read this piece. As a Chinese, I've been to countless religious temples, and I understand how somber you can be to hear of the destruction of a structure that grand. Yet the most emotional part of the story was most certainly when the reporter announced that the Stupa at the center of the landmarks remained unfazed. This symbolized a shimmering hope, the rainbow after the storm, as the guardian of the nation stood tall, ensuring the safety of its people. As Khanal states, "Even destruction can be defied with an eye willing to see brightness".
     After I finished reading, this moving article was all I could think about for the rest of the day. It portrays how quickly your life can go from studying for your science exams next week to seeking shelter in a mushroom greenhouse. I simply have too much affection for this fascinating story to say anything to antagonize it. Thank you, Khanal, for sharing this heart warming piece with us.

on Nov. 6 2015 at 10:41 am
Ray--yo PLATINUM, Kathmandu, Other

God Makes No Mistakes. (Gaga?)
"I have hated the words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right." -Liesel Meminger via Markus Zusac, "The Book Thief"

And thank you, dear reader, for your wonderful feedback!