Educator | Teen Ink

Educator

By FFgrysz BRONZE, Sussex, Wisconsin
FFgrysz BRONZE, Sussex, Wisconsin

Sometimes when you're in a dark place you think you've been buried, but you've actually been planted.

Eyes running, muscles flaring, vision blurring--all are signs of an anxiety attack. Feeling like this on a weekly basis, the first person I ran to was my school counselor. I knew she could help me ... she always does. No matter what, I know she is always there!
Ever since I can remember, I have had anxiety attacks. The attacks weren’t that frequent when I was younger, but as I got older, they got worse. I would tear at my skin or pull my hair out without knowing. No one could really help me. Sometimes I had to sit in the health room alone--and I became a prisoner of my own mind.
When I became a junior, things got worse. I was diagnosed with gastroparesis--a condition in where my stomach is essentially paralyzed. This made the attacks become a daily problem. One day, I needed to visit my new school counselor, Ms. Mehlos, because we needed to discuss my gastroparesis.  I explained to her my situation, and also about my anxiety and depression. Immediately she jumped into action. Soon after, she taught me coping strategies and breathing techniques. My whole life I had never had anyone to truly help me.
It was six days into my senior year when I had a major anxiety attack. I couldn’t think, I couldn’t breathe, and I couldn’t control my body. Quickly I sent an S.O.S email to  Ms. Mehlos. Within that hour, she sprinted up to North Campus, just for me. It was not her job anymore to help me since she moved to South Campus to counsel the younger students.  But she still dropped everything to come to my rescue.
She is not only a guidance counselor, but also a friend, a mentor, and a fashionable dresser.  Those friendly green eyes taught me how to get through the day. Her calming voice saying, “You’re a tree. Your roots are grounded and nothing can push you down!” taught me self confidence.  And the time she told me to pretend I was Gwen Stefani taught me how to overcome my fears. To me, Ms. Mehlos is like the little ray of sun peeking through on a cloudy day.
It's not often that a guidance counselor and student become friends. But I was one of the lucky ones that found that bond. Ms. Mehlos saved me from drowning in my own man-made lake--something that no one else has succeeded in. For that I will never be able to thank her enough. As a small token of my appreciation I nominate Brianne Mehlos as educator of the month.