The Hard Part of Perfect | Teen Ink

The Hard Part of Perfect

By m-ashreader GOLD, Homercity, Pennsylvania
m-ashreader GOLD, Homercity, Pennsylvania

"You never know until you try!" -author unknown

Do you ever find yourself admiring others?  You look at them and wonder what it would be like to be that pretty.   Pretty enough that when you walk into the room guys notice you.  But instead they look at you weird and pray their future girlfriend isn’t as ugly as you. 

Maybe it’s not even looks.  I myself have struggled with the concept of being fat.  Unless you weigh 100 pounds or under your considered fat.  So we struggle with our weight.  We starve ourselves just so we can be considered “skinny”.

We do it because there’s so much pressure.  Pressure to look good, to be considered hot and skinny.  Mostly we do it for guys so that maybe when they look at us and see that were pretty they’ll want to date.  Maybe it’s because as teenage girls were pressured and expected to look and be perfect.

Wouldn’t it be awesome if people stopped judging us by our looks?  If guys stopped going for girls just because their “hot”.   Because honestly, there’s so much more than just looks.  What about character?  Do they not realize that in the long run looks don’t even matter.  Is there any guys left who look at more than just looks.

Some girls seem to be quite successful.  They always look good, their makeups perfect, and they wear just the right clothes.   But what we don’t see it the girl going almost anorexic so her guy won’t dump her.  So she can stay “skinny” by the world’s perspective.  We don’t see the struggles of those who try so hard for acceptance but fail because they don’t dress right.

Why does this all matter so much to people.  I’m not saying that we should just go around and look like slobs.  What I’m trying to why are we expected to be so perfect.  Why does everyone look so closely on the outside when they should be studying our hearts.