Stay strong | Teen Ink

Stay strong

By RojasJeffrey76 BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
RojasJeffrey76 BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware

Wednesday on a fall morning, mom was hurrying me and my little sister up to get ready while she was tying fathers tie, to head out to my sisters play who was waiting for us at her school. Abelia the youngest of us all was struggling to put her shoes on, yelling for moms help, but mom was busy so she didn’t pay much attention. I then finished getting ready so I helped Abelia out; later on I grabbed a soccer ball and asked for Abelia to come along with me outside while we wait for mom and dad. She agreed so we went along, I kicked the ball as far as I could to the back of the yard and asked her to run for it. As she went dashing towards it, she was stopped. Police men coming out of a car yelling “stay where you are”. My sister Abelia didn’t know they were, she didn’t know what the police was, she was only 5. I see them enter the house they asked for my dad to come out the house, he did as he was told. He looked embarrassed, he didn’t even say a word, you could see by the look of his eyes, he didn’t want me to look at him like that. Strong I was trying to be, because I didn’t want to show any emotion, I wanted to let my dad know it was fine even though it wasn’t. I still had not seen my mom nore heard her, I wondered what she was doing, till I heard her inside being asked questions about my dad. Abelia was being entertained by a cop, I could tell the lady cop felt sorrow for my sister because she had to watch my dad get arrested. The cop had a small canine stuffed animal and she gave it to my sister, she called me over and so I went. She greeted me with a “Hello my name’s Sarah” and mentioned that everything was going to be fine, “My name is Pierre” I said and “I know”. The other cops spoke up “Let’s go”, I knew it was time; they were going to take my dad away now. “Figlio dispiace Im” were the last words i heard from my dad, it’s Italian for “I’m sorry son”. Mother Alessa was still in the kitchen, light flashed before her eyes. Her husband was gone, 3 childs were all on her shoulder to be raised. Abelia was tricked into believing my dad was going to leave to work out the state for a couple years. My other sister middle aged whom was 8 , named Felisa still waiting for us to go watch her at the play. It started in 27 minutes, and the school wasn't that far away, it only took about 10 minutes at most. My mom didn't know how to drive since she didn't see it as a necessity before the incident, She was a typical house mom who just cooked a meal, and took care of her kids. My aunt arrived shortly at the house and asked about what had happened. Surprisingly she found out pretty fast about the situation, aunt Lusia then said "family is always here for each other, aren't we?". My mom asked aunt Lusia for a ride to Felisa's play and told her she could stay to watch it, that way she could also give us a ride back home. On our way to the play, mom sitting on the front seat next to aunt Lusia started to have a breakdown, she then hounded herself for showing weakness. I'm assuming she thought it'd be a bad influence on us. She fixed herself and said "kids come on, we're here". As we entered all eyes were on us, as if they knew about my father, or maybe it was just me over doing it. There dead stares burned me like lasers. The teachers pointed for us to head towards the gym where they had seats for the family's. We take a seat on the black plastic chairs, they dim down the lights and the course teacher announces the plays name it's called "I will". The play didn't started yet, and already half of the crowd is standing. Through a small space between the couple standing in front of us, I see my sister Felisa in wearing her pointy green slippers, with her hair tied up, and a green leaf dress. She was an elf in the play and her role was to make medicine from herbs and cure the injured. Felisas part was pretty important because if it weren't for her there'd be no happy ending, she cured a boy who was in danger of dying. The play ended with her saying "stay strong' and the boy responded with "I will". All the kids from the play went back into the music room and the teacher asked for all of us to wait outside for them. Mom and Aunt couldn't stop talking about how adorable Felisa looked in her elf outfit, Felisa came out through the doors  running towards us, to ask for our opinion based on how her acting was in the play. "Aunt Lusia! How did i do?" my aunt laughed softly "you were great out there, and I'm loving your dress". The question we all were waiting for came up "where is dad?" said Felisa, I waited for mom to answer her question with the truth "oh honey, he had to leave to Boston to do some work but he wont come back till a couple years" she said. Everyone stayed in silence for a while till i broke the ice by adding "he will still call you and write you though" she didn't look upset about the situation but she didn't say a word either. On our way to our house we stopped by for a cone of ice cream to set up the mood, even though it was going to take more then a ice cream cone to get things to feel at least a little more to how things were.  We arrived home , there was only one person missing but yet it still felt lonely, he was the light of the house who made goofy jokes about moms lasagna, and played soccer with us in the backyard. Don't mind me, my mom was great also but her light turned off once they took my dad, shell soon be back to herself with time though. Alessa kissed both of my sisters goodnight, i decided i was to old for that so I only gave her a hug goodnight. A year after my father Giorgio s arrest, my mother found a couple jobs and I became the little man of the house, I now had to watch over my sisters. We've only got to see mom at night for a few minutes, my sisters stayed up till 11 at night just to be able to talk to mom for a few minutes. I thought it was only my dad who they took away from me, but it seemed as if mom weren't with us either. She worked in the morning from 7:00 a.m. till 3:30 as a waiter in a little Italian local on Live st. and when she got off she'd have to get ready for her afternoon job cleaning offices. I didn't want to see my mom for the last minutes at night being sweaty, exhausted, and miserable. All was for us my sisters and I "rimanere forte" I said to mom it means "strong" in italian. I really wished things would of at least gotten a little easier, mom could of gotten help from family but she refused because she knew she was capable of doing it on her own. she wasn't stubborn but she realized that when they did favors for her they didn't do them gratefully but as if they were forced. I went to bed, woke up the next morning to get ready for school, pretty much everyone knew about my dads arrest, I wasn't all that great in school, I was always in a bad mood and had a really negative attitude. I had gotten suspended about 5 times since my fathers arrest, due to fights and not caring about anything, I didn't have anyone who taught me what was wrong or right and thats affecting me a lot so far. My teenage years the most important years of change were when my father was taken away, I'm 14 years old now back a year ago to when my dad had been taken away i was 13. The years of change when drugs are introduced and other influences that aren't that great. I smoked for my first time on my 14th birthday "it will make you feel better" they said, "smoking isn't good for you" no one said. Today was one of the few days that i wasn't sent out of class, so i went back home in a good mood. I entered home and put a couple cups of roman noodles on the pot to heat up, thats going to be our dinner tonight for my sisters and I. Felisa is dealing with my dads absent in the house pretty well, we all talk about our day when were at the dining table. "Pierre you couldn't of  offered us something better?" Abelia said, "not really, I was in the mood for roman food" I replied, Felisa bursted out in laughter, its been some time since we shared a moment like this. Over time I started realizing that I had to take my fathers space in my sisters life but in a brotherly way. I had to make sure that they were doing good in school, are feeling right but before I put them together I would have to put myself together, I decided to stop being a goof in class and be more serious, I managed to do that because I found a new way to keep myself from getting distracted by all my surroundings, I was focusing in school. I decided to take this path when I realized that I only  liked to make everyone else laugh and smile was because thats what I'd wish someone did to me. No more anger was inside me, so there was no reason for there to be conflict. I was put together, now I was able to check up on my sisters to make sure they doing good and got everything they need. Turns out both of my sisters did have everything together, they had good grades and they weren't under no depression. I came to realized that it was sad that I never checked up with my sisters teachers in school to see how my sisters gradesin school were  and how they were doing socially in school. I didn't ground myself too hard because that wasn't my responsibility, I wasn't there parent. A night later mom came home, she had a huge smileon her face , and shortly said "i wont work 2 jobs no more!" when i heard that it sounded blissful. That was such an impact, mom was going to be our mother again, and she's free now. Mother finished her due time. I came from school, I entered the room full of barbecue scent "come on in, its your favorite" mom said. I went running towards the kitchen and gave mother the biggest hug in the world and gave her a small peck on the cheek 'We did it mom". Abelia and Felisa entered and saw the dinner and our mom home. I swear i've never seen them that happy since the trip we had years ago to Tsunami Kingdom. Mom set the table up and asked for all to sit. She asked about how we were doing, and so I told her about the issues that I managed to take care of and she was proud of us, but was ashamed that she wasn'nt able to make time to help us through, all she could do was work to pay the bills of the housr, for our food and clothing. That is  the past, and now we are all together which is all that matters, Mom still takes the Dart bus to her job but she does wants to save up for a car, then maybe wed reach the standards of what is considered a normal single parent family. Mom was able to find a car a couple weeks later that she was able to pay off by monthly payments. It was really decent, nice rims, and black which was her favorite color. Mom drove it as if she never stopped driving. I dont remember telling you that she drove for a period of time before marrying Dad but she stopped due to a car accident and was traumatized. By driving she was facing one of her strongest fears, all just to be able to take us out and go to work. My mother is a strong human being. Come to realize that  with every bad comes a good. If it weren't for my dad being arrested I would of never learned to be as responsibleas I am now, my sisters would never be heart broken by a boy, because the most valuable men they loved left in there most important years, my mom ended up facing her fear of driving and saw that everything is possible. Everything was going great, we went to get water ice, even though it was 54 degrees and afterwards she went to buy us new pairs of shoes. We all got home into our rooms and layed in our beds "goodnight!" we all yelled gratefully. Today is report card day. I'm on my way to school right now and I'm looking forward to going to my classes because I finally feel good that I feel normal and want to see how its like. Truth is I felt the same having new shoes, and having a normal family, it didn't make me any better nore smarter. I felt better when I went to school knowing that I improved on my personality and actions. On my way home while i was in the bus, I blocked everyone off and just started thinking about how greatful I was to be healthy and that my family is okay, and my dad might of not be in the best place but he's okay. I got home, and the first thing I do is check the mail. There it was, a letter from my dad. I open it Instantly, the letter was really short, but there was something that caught my eye, in one of the lines it said I'll be there soon, hang on. I smile and say "I will, I'll stay strong" softly almost whispering, "I can see you did" Anonymous said. Moms heavenly giggle was heard behind the voice of who had there hand on my shoulder.

My personal experience was what inspired me, I hope that people get the message, that anything is possible, and to learn that there will be really hard obstacles in life that you have to overcome.