Dedication | Teen Ink

Dedication

People work hard because they know their dedication will pay off in the end. This is true for many aspects of life. It’s true in academics, friendships, and sports teams. Personally, I work hard to prove to myself that I am good enough. So, when I put time and energy into something, it is frustrating when the result does not turn out the way I had hoped for. When you put in all the effort possible, I believe you should get recognition for all your hard work.
It is hard to be someone who tries her best and then is let down. I was placed onto varsity teams my freshman year for all three sports I participated in, and that was a huge accomplishment for me. But as the seasons went on, I noticed I was constantly being disappointed. I would come to practice every day, positive, ready to play, and ready to work. I was expecting something in return. This was difficult for me to grasp because I am a perfectionist and when I work hard, I want to see improvement. My coaches continued to tell me to work hard and that it would start to pay off before I knew it. I continued without much of a difference in playing time, but stuck with it because I knew that my coach had put me on the team for a reason.

Coaching can be hard because you have many kids who are eager to play and get better. My coach is very patient with me and gives great advice, but I can tell it can be a struggle for her to keep up with us. When you are put on a team of amazing girls,  skill is hugely important, but hard work is even more crucial. When I see a teammate that is walking through a drill, complaining about practice, and is negative, it does not raise my energy level and get me excited for playing. Instead, it brings me down. I have found this a lot in teams now and in the past. A huge part of team chemistry is working together, being positive, and pushing each other to our limits. Being someone who has had the opportunity to prove myself taken away, it is very hard to continue to be positive, strong, and encouraging. I feel as though everyone should consistently put all their effort to the test and consistently work their hardest.

After putting in all the effort I have and standing on the sideline, I feel worthless and as though I don’t contribute anything to the team. And as a player, I see a lot of what the coaches don’t. I see the kids who are lazy and don’t work as hard as others. I believe this is unfair. Yes, of course one needs to have skill in the sport, but it is a high school team. If you are put onto the team you should not have to struggle to prove yourself day in and day out. This reverts back to my concern about getting something in return.

After putting so much effort into something and being disappointed, it can be hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel. That is why my teammates are there. My teammates support me and care about me. They are not always damaging to my spirit. They want to hold me when I am feeling down and give me as much encouragement as possible. But sometimes it is not enough, and I feel like I am in a rut of not playing that I can’t get out of.
With all that being said, I do think hard work and determination is number one in high school sports. As adolescents, the people around us are shaping who we are and who we want to be. If you are constantly being told and shown that you are, in fact, not good enough, you will start to see that everywhere in your life. Sports are supposed to be fun and something that I look forward to at the end of a long school day. But I cannot enjoy it when I am continuously putting in all my effort possible and feeling like I get nothing in return.

I wrote this personal piece about a subject that was of interest to me.