The Starving World | Teen Ink

The Starving World

Imagine having the feeling of not knowing where your next meal is coming from. People all around the world, not only in my community, have this reality every day. I have been fortunate enough to not have had the experience of going hungry, but I have witnessed it in my community. Hunger is such an intimidating issue that people don’t know how to tackle it by themselves. But raising awareness can provide a platform to start addressing the problem in everyone’s community.

Some people may not realize that they are being affected by this issue. They think it only affects the people that are living in poverty. But, everyone has been affected. When I am driving on the highway, I see the homeless holding cardboard signs on the side of the road, begging for food. They are prohibited by the law from doing so, but it is their only means of survival. I can feel them staring at me as I drive by. Some people try to avoid their hungry stare, while others can’t keep themselves from wanting to help them.

Due to the economy, many families in America are having a hard time paying their bills and providing the necessary food their kids need to survive. In my high school, people are receiving free or reduced lunch because they can’t afford it. This helps families feel supported in the community because they know their children are going to eat that day when they go to school. It is sad to know that during the summer months, when they are not in school, many children and teens may be going hungry.

In my community, I have heard that some people who work in the restaurants in downtown Burlington know that homeless people wait outside the back of the restaurants. The restaurant workers leave leftover food on the top of the trashcans at certain hours so the homeless don’t have to dig through the dumpsters. Instead of wasting good food, they make sure that people are being helped. Just small acts of kindness like this, can go a long way towards alleviating hunger.

A major concern that people have with hunger is that they think that raising awareness would scare people away from wanting to help. I think that if people realize what is actually happening in their community and open their eyes to the big picture, they will see that something little would help a big issue. I believe that hosting a food drive in your community is a manageable step to not only raising awareness, but making a difference too. Often times, people donate at Thanksgiving and Christmas, but forget about the rest of the year. Hunger is twelve months long.

When I was little, my elementary school hosted a food drive. We set up the tables and people came in and took what they needed. It was great to see these people being helped with getting food, so they can focus on something more important, like paying the bills or getting their children through school. It gave me a sense of pride that I could help the community in some way. This past year in psychology, I learned that if people can’t have their basic needs met, such as food and shelter, they aren’t going to be able to receive healthcare, feel safe, have a sense of belonging, have self-esteem, or reach self-actualization. This is important to me because I want everyone to feel good about themselves and feel good about who they are. But, when they are searching for food in dumpsters, how can they feel good about themselves?

There are many big organizations and charities out there that help with the issue of hunger. One of those organizations includes Feeding America, which is the nation’s largest domestic hunger-relief organization. I heard about this organization through our school last year and read about how they work. Their network of food banks, food pantries, and meal programs provide more than 3.6 billion meals to every community in the U.S. You don’t have to try to be a large organization or charity all by yourself, but starting a small food drive in your community really makes a difference. It lifts the spirits of the people receiving the food and inspires you to make something bigger happen. If little elementary school students can do it, so can you. Small steps can make a big difference, especially with an intimidating issue like hunger.