Retirement for Captive Orcas | Teen Ink

Retirement for Captive Orcas

By brittanyboesch BRONZE, Sacramento, California
brittanyboesch BRONZE, Sacramento, California

Being either captured or bred into captivity, orcas are not allowed any experience in their natural habitat. These situations cause shorter life spans and unnatural health problems for the orcas. These animals should not be put into captivity because it is unfair and uncomfortable for the whales, leading to violence and frustration which can be dangerous for the trainers who are working with the orcas on a daily basis. To improve these situations, sea pens should be made to house the captive whales, so they can explore their natural habitat without feeling trapped. An orca who should be allowed to be housed in a sea pen is Tilikum. Tilikum is one of the largest and oldest orcas that have been able to survive in captivity, and should be allowed to retire into an orca sanctuary so he has room to roam and swim freely without becoming frustrated from isolation.

For the orcas in captivity, sea pens would be the most valuable tool for them to slowly travel away from captivity. They should stay in sea pens where they were captured,  while scientists work to track the original pod they came from before letting them out into the wild. The “premise of these sanctuaries, however, is that eventually they would empty. Breeding would not be allowed and captive orcas would no longer exist within the next few decades” (Rose par. 11).  These orca sanctuaries should allow a temporary place for the orcas to adjust to their surroundings. The main idea of letting orcas retire, is letting them eventually make their way back to the wild where they are supposed to be. For example, Tilikum should be placed into a sea pen in Iceland until his original pod is found. In a sea pen, “[Tilikum] would be stimulated enough even without direct contact with his caretakers” allowing him to adjust to the wild life environment without feeling completely isolated; before being let out into the wild (Rose par. 14). These sea pens would increase both the trainers’ and the orcas’ safety.

If sea pens are to be built, there should be absolutely no more breeding of orcas. Stopping the breeding of orcas would officially end their captivity. The problem with inbreeding whales is that there are “types of whales that would never interact naturally in the wild: hybrid killer whales that don’t exist in nature” (Worrall par. 11). By ending the breeding of whales and creating one large sanctuary for the inbred orcas to retire in, it would allow the orcas to experience some kind of wild life while being protected.

Sea pens are a good way to prevent captivity while keeping the animals safe. However, the animals should be let into the wild eventually after a period of time in the sea pens. The orcas should be tracked so that people can see that the whales they support are doing well. Tilikum should be allowed to retire and eventually get let into the wild. People can facilitate the movement by donating to the existing non profit organizations that already exist and are fighting for the retirement for captive orcas like Tilikum. They could also protest for awareness and get a reaction from others to start supporting the retirement of captive orcas. Or they could even begin their own organization to fight for the cause. Overall, orcas in captivity should no longer be bred and be allowed to retire into sea pens to prepare them to be let into the wild.

I hope for this piece to bring awareness to animal cruelty.