Cancún | Teen Ink

Cancún

By Jessbpaige SILVER, Hemet, California
Jessbpaige SILVER, Hemet, California

When I heard I was going to Cancún this summer I was so excited because I had never been to Mexico before. Despite my heritage being half Mexican , growing up my mother never really encouraged me to be culturally aware of this whole other side of me . Since I was going to be submersed in it staying with my family for two whole weeks I figured this would be the time I could properly understand a little bit more about where I came from. Upon going to Cancún and staying with my relatives I quickly got swept up in all the history I was learning and loved that every where I went I had this odd sense I belonged . I tried dishes of food I had never experienced and was introduced to exciting new customs.  It was everything I had wished for and more . The downfall of all this is sense I didn't know Spanish my cousins had to constantly translate for me . Making the experience a little less authentic , yet still the best time of my life . Upon leaving Cancún I felt sad knowing that I only learned a small portion about where I  am from. But I realized going to Mexico was just sparking the flame of my interest in this side of myself . It didn't matter where I was because with passion for something you can learn about it anywhere. This wasn't the end of my journey but the beginning, Hasta pronto Mexico

I hope this will encourage other students to be more culturally aware.