A new sister | Teen Ink

A new sister

I’m lucky to have my family. This is how I learned why.

“Meagan’s mom died……” my dad said, after we had been silent for awhile.

I didn't realize what he said at first, but then it hit me. I was speechless. I thought when, what, and why? Her dad had died when she was 4, I thought to myself what would happen to her? What about her brother? He was only 8th grade like me. Where would they end up? I didn't know what to say. My heart was screaming on the inside.

All I could ask was, “What happened?”

“I don't really know ask mom,” He exclaimed with a shaky voice.

“Ok,” I said looking back out the window.

As I waited for my mom to come home, I remember many details. It was the longest three hours ever. I had goosebumps whenever I thought about it, which was all the time. My stomach was twisted into knots and I felt awful. It was a very dry day. I didn't turn on the TV I just sat in silence. My sister, Jordyn, came home not long after and we didn't really say anything. I just sat there thinking about many things and one thing being my family and how lucky I am. The best sound we heard was the garage door open, because we knew it was my mom.

when she got home, she knew we had been waiting, she informed us what happened. This is what she said. That Meagan had a pretty good idea that her mom died because she was there when her mom had the asthma attack. But their Aunt still had to take them to school because the officers wouldn't tell them for sure. Mr. Kaul had called Meagan out of class to tell her the news. She didn't really show any emotions, I don't think it actually hit her yet. She told them they should go and tell Jessica, my sister, what happened.

So they went to her class and called her out. Jessica started crying and they said she took it harder than Meagan. Jessica had called my mom and told her. Mr. Kaul then called my mom and put Meagan on the phone, she wasn't crying. They said they were fine to just stay at school. It wasn't very descriptive because she still didn't know all the details. I was speechless. I was scared. I was worried. It was the saddest thing I had ever heard in my life.  My mind twirled  in circles like a tornado. I had so many questions but none would come out.

She was so close to us. She would come over every weekend. She would even stay with us when her house was out of power. She was always over, like Kimmy was in full house. Even if Jessica wasn't home she would still come over and hang out with Jordyn and I. We always called her our sister. She was basically part of our family. To hear that someone so close to us lost her mom was tragic. It absolutely made me think.

My mom had told Meagan if she needed anything to just let her know and we were absolutely there for her. The next day My Mom asked me “Are you ok if Meagan lives with us?” I said yes right away no hesitations. I wondered why my mom would ask me that. Meagan was already like a sister to me.

Meagan did stay/live with us for a long time. On the weekends she stayed with her brother. Her brother lived with their Aunt. Now she comes and visits when she can. When she comes home for breaks she comes to our house. She is now in college and we visit her. She goes to Kendal for art school in Grand Rapids. She is doing good. Meagan had always been a sister to me and still is. Having her live with us just felt normal.

She was comfortable with us she even called my mom, mom. My mom got a lot of people telling her how amazing that was for her to let Meagan live with us. But every time, my mom didn't understand why everyone would say that. She just did it because Meagan was like a daughter to her and it was what was right. I never realized how much this impacted my life until now. I know now how lucky I am to have two parents, a good family, awesome sisters and I will never take that for granted. Also, like my mom did, I will do things from the bottom of my heart. So not only did we change her life by giving her a home, she changed our lives to.