Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan- Demon Capital | Teen Ink

Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan- Demon Capital

By A.Marcus DIAMOND, Landing, New Jersey
A.Marcus DIAMOND, Landing, New Jersey

"Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same."
-Emily Bronte

"A shadow is the most loyal friend."
-Amanda Marcus

When a half-breed yokai (similar to the things that go bump in the night) takes over the family clan, I’m sure you could believe there was some resistance from the full blooded yokai.  I mean, if you had a half-brother or sister who was going to inherit the great family company instead of you, well I believe you would be quite angry.  Well, in this series, part one of two, based on the original manga series by Hiroshi Shiibashi (25 volumes running from 2008-2012), that’s exactly what happens.  This animated series is a great one with great animations, characters, and plot!

The series follows young Rikuo Nura (a half human half yokai boy at the age of 12) struggling with his grandfather’s decision to have him inherit the clan, meaning that he has to deal with angry yokai who doubt him and enemy clans attacking… and for some reason a crazy fox spirit who seems to live forever and hold a grudge just as long.  As Rikuo experiences life as the clan leader, he struggles with exorcists who just happen to be his best friend and her family, living a normal human life while he is a human during the day, and ensuring that everyone was safe.  Dealing with life seems to be a lot harder when it comes to being not exactly 100% human.  Rikuo deals with friend issues and traitors… but can he really do what he says he can?

I really enjoyed this show as it included just the right amount of supernatural elements as well as realistic ones such as the bonds between true friends and family.  I really loved the animations and character builds, which fit well with the story and was well written to correspond with the original manga series.  If you are looking to find this series, it is available on Netflix.  If you are looking to buy it, Amazon carries it for a reasonable price that is well worth it.  I really loved the series and thought that it was a cute, charming series.  I would highly recommend this series.