The Pegasus | Teen Ink

The Pegasus

By Fangirl003 BRONZE, Haridwar, Other
Fangirl003 BRONZE, Haridwar, Other

So here it begins. We were a family, a ‘Happy Family.’ I lived with my grandma, Mom and Dad. We all lived happily until I met the greatest pain of my life. My Mom and Dad died in a car accident when I was barely of 10. I never thought of such a tragic thing. I was left alone with my grandma. For a few months I saw grieve and sadness in everything around me. All my happiness was taken away from me. But I recovered by the thought that I had to do something great and fulfill my parents’ dream. So I forgot everything and started focusing on my studies. But as it is said that it is all about fate, so due to no source of livelihood in the town I and grandma had to move to the mountains for sheep rearing. At this moment I thought my life had ended! But everything happens for good.

We had been living in the mountains for at least 5 years. It was such difficult life there. Collecting wood, taking the sheep for grazing and keeping away the wild animals were a very difficult task to do. But that place was a lot better than a city or town. No vehicles no pollution. Life was peaceful there. When we first came here we only thought of one thing- Where would we live? But luckily we found a village. The village people gave us shelter and food. Since then it was my daily routine to take the sheep for grazing. But I didn’t knew that one day this routine would change my life forever.

It was a bright pleasant morning with bird chirping all around. I was ready for a new adventure with my sheep. We marched from our house till we reached our regular grazing place. I sat down under a tree thinking about my so called “future” when I heard a shrill cry from the forest. It was an unusual voice. It was surely not a human voice nor was it of an animal. I wanted to know what was that sound so though scared, I went into the forest. Slithering through the forest I reached an opening from where the voice was coming. The thing I saw there just gave me a heart attack! It was a rare creature. In fact it was a Pegasus! I thought of running away but then I noticed a deep cut on his leg which was bleeding badly and was turning black. I thought of helping him but I feared if he killed me. But my life is already so miserable that it didn’t matter if I got killed. So I went to him. I kept looking at his magical eyes. I don’t know how but I gathered the courage to even touch him and he didn’t even attack me. Maybe he sensed that I was there to help him. I examined the cut. As I had developed a keen knowledge of herbs due my affinity to forests, I chose the correct herbs and applied a paste of them on the cut. I was startled to see that as soon as I applied the paste the cut vanished and it didn’t even left a mark! (For a moment I thought that I had made an invention but then I realized that he was magical). I felt so good that I have just saved a life. I thought he would be my friend now so I patted him and thought of taking a ride. As soon as I sat on him he opened his giant wings and flew towards the sky with the speed of a bullet train! I was just shouting and screaming when slowly darkness engulfed me.

I opened my eyes. I was lying on something soft and comfy. I was in a darkly lit room. I opened the door and went out.  For a moment the bright light made my eyes shut. But when I opened my eyes what I saw was unbelievable!  There were Pegasus’ flying all around with clouds beneath my feet and snow mountains all around! It was entirely a new world! Then suddenly a Pegasus came in front of me and said, “Welcome to Candival! This is our land and all of us thank you for saving our king’s life.” I was astonished that how could a Pegasus speak! Just then he said, “I know you are thinking how we can talk. Actually you can only understand us in our land. By the way, the King has invited you to his palace.” I interrupted, “but” He said, “I know you have a lot of questions in your mind. All would be cleared once you meet the king.”

I was escorted to the king’s palace. It was magnificent. I bowed to the king. Then he started, “Thank you for saving my life! If you would not have been there then I would have been dead by this time! Thank you very much.” “But how did this happen?” I asked. He replied, “Actually in my free time I like to wander down on earth. So I was, as always, wandering when the blade of a helicopter pierced through my leg and I went slashing down. Leave this now. I am thinking that I will myself leave you back home! So where do you live?” I replied, “Hoku village” To this there was silence all around. Then I said, “What happened?” The king unwillingly replied, “Actually the Hokus are our biggest enemies. They have killed many of us in earlier centuries and now also there are cases of our Pegasus being murdered by them.” To this I said, “I never knew my villagers were so bad! But you don’t worry! Nothing will happen to you! I promise.” The king still unsure said, “Well instead I should have said this to you. So we will leave in one hour. Okay?” I replied, “Okay.”

As we prepared for departure I took a last look at that stunningly beautiful place. The king said, “Fallen in love with this place, haven’t you?” I replied “Yes”

I sat on the King’s back and he opened his beautiful wings as we took to the sky. It was dawn with sunlight shimmering through the clouds. We landed on the same opening where we met the first time. I landed off from his back. I patted him as tears flowed down his cheeks. He said something, though I couldn’t understand. But I knew it was ‘Good bye’. I hugged him and said, “Bye.” But then I noticed a movement behind the bushes. It was a Hoku villager! In a moment he threw a spear towards the king. Without even thinking I dived in the path of the spear and it pierced straight through my heart. It was intense pain. I could see the fear, pain and a desire to help me in the king’s eyes. I shouted, “GO!” but he didn’t. I said, “Please go! Your life is a lot more important than me. If I die that is not much of an issue but if you die a whole kingdom will collapse! Don’t forget that you are king! Your people await you! Swear on me that you will go now!” His eyes were red and moist and he flew away without turning back. I saw his magnificent wings flap through the sky and I thought, “Life would have been much better if you would have been here Mom and Dad. I am coming!” as my last breath left my body and I went into sleep forever.

“So that’s all for today angels” I said as I stood up after telling my story to my new friends in the heaven. Grandma died a few days later of my death. Now we all live as a happy family here, as luckily, we all have gained moksha, that is, we will not take birth again and now we are a free spirit. Today also, I look from my misty surroundings at the opening which took one life and gave one life. But I am proud that I died for a good cause and gave someone a life.