The American Dream | Teen Ink

The American Dream

By zoe22 GOLD, Vienna, Virginia
zoe22 GOLD, Vienna, Virginia

"A drop in the ocean, a change in the weather," Ron Pope

A couple of centuries ago, natives of Ireland ventured for a new beginning of another chapter of their life.  Heading for the United States, they were warmly greeted by Lady's Liberty illuminating torch. From there, these Irish immigrants would be the representation of America's diversity.

In 'The Land of Free and the Home of the Brave," citizens had a right to  "Life, Liberty, and Pursuit of Happiness" which created a vast network of recreational and vocational opportunities.In America,  freedom could also be earned through dignity and perseverance. Therefore, "we the people" had to work our way to the top with putting our mindset towards making a decent amount of money to survive. Thus, for those entering the US as naturalized citizens, most worked their way through small jobs to upward their position in social mobility. Sometimes, the battle of earning decent money was considered as grueling, but commitments to make their own money revived the so-called 'American Dream'.

Being a second-generation Asian American, I've been astonished by the stories of how both my parents worked small jobs and worked their way up to soon become a big-time lawyer and engineer. Afterwards, the value of having a strong work ethic passes onto their children who have begun a head start on their future because of the contributions of their parents. "If you can dream it, then you can do it," Walt Disney always said. Since then, I've lived by this quote and understands on how it represents the working class and those who are quite ambitious to become the best individual they can be.

Whenever someone negatively stereotypes and remarks on America's racial diversity, they must consider the fact that their ancestors were immigrants as well.

Overall, every citizen shares their part of being a representation of America as "all men and women are created equal."  Therefore, we are all united as a nation with a cultivation of many cultures and traditions.

wolfvomit PLATINUM, Jacksonville, Florida

“don’t fall slave to the serpent’s tongue”

This is great. I think you really captured the seriousness of this topic in this piece. Thanks for sharing.