Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

Time of Death This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

By Grace Hoo H, Palatine, IL

The first death on your watch isn’t even your fault. You’re just one of the many interns who rush to the bedside when the code is called, peering at the doctors crowding around. As the patient gasps and chokes, you too gasp and choke as each electric shock blasts through the body. The doctors are grim-faced but determined; you hopelessly wonder why they even bother. Again and again the voltage is cranked up, but thunderbolts can only do so much.

The doctor holding the paddles slowly turns away from the flaccid flesh and another quietly asks, “Time of death?” You back away, feeling as if the defibrillator was really meant for you as your heart pounds out its own furious pace. A devastated mother takes your wrist. “Time of death?” she whispers, mis­taking you for a doctor, someone who tried his best to resuscitate her darling daughter, someone who knew what he was doing, someone with guts enough to challenge death.

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

10 comment(s)
maddymadmad3
Beautiful.
Apr. 10, 2014 at 8:43 PM • Report
RoyalCorona
This was a great short story and deserves to be put in the magzine!! Nice job!
May. 25, 2013 at 6:12 PM • Report
dragonsandthree
This is so sad.
Apr. 30, 2013 at 6:34 PM • Report
Super-Tate
Wow! That was amazing. It was really powerful and brought tears to ny eyes ay the end. :(
Apr. 14, 2013 at 10:30 PM • Report
Cosbino
In all of my searching on Teen Ink, I must say that this is the best piece of literature I have EVER read. It is fluent, amazing, speaks to your heart, and is 100% fantastic. Thank you for submitting this. It is incredible.
Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:42 AM • Report
kyramcn
Oh my god this is amazing
Jan. 12, 2013 at 9:13 PM • Report
nerdyfish
Wow this is very realistic and your grabber keeps me clinging on to the last string. Emotional and outstanding, especially if you are interested in health like myself. Keep up the great work, you inspire me.
Dec. 30, 2012 at 4:09 PM • Report
onehappyaster
I myself am a nursing student and the way you presented this.. idea, is so true! you never really think about how hard and unglamorous such jobs can be.. definitely an accurate perception and so beautifully written! you have an amazing gift!
Nov. 08, 2012 at 2:03 AM • Report
HiChanel
This is really beautifully written. It's shows a realistic side of life we may not like to pay attention to. Great Job!
Oct. 17, 2012 at 6:10 PM • Report
forsaken_sadness
The last part made me want to cry.... It really shows how hard life is, and the hardships that we go through.
Oct. 17, 2012 at 3:01 AM • Report
Close