Ending 10 Years of Silence | Teen Ink

Ending 10 Years of Silence

By PeaceHope123 SILVER, Defiance, Ohio
PeaceHope123 SILVER, Defiance, Ohio

In the writing titled “Ending 10 Years of Silence,” I felt that the writing about how she was molested, was afraid to tell her mother, and made her stronger left me feeling that she was able to forgive and most people would not forgive so easily.  I believe that sometimes it is difficult to forgive a person who did something that can be unforgivable, but we have to forgive them because they might not forgive themselves.  As the article begins when the author thinks of telling her mom what had happened all those years ago, the author said, “ How could I look her in the eyes and tell her that one of the only people she trusted us with had done such a horrific thing to her youngest daughter.”  It was almost as if she was blaming herself for what happened.  She doesn’t know how her mother might take it. So, she wanted to tell her but did not know how to tell her or how she would react.  However it was not until the author heard these words from a Jeremy Camp song:  ‘there will be a day with no more tear, no more pain, and no more fears.’ It helped her to find the courage to tell her mother the truth.  She said that what happened to her helped to make her stronger and to even help others who went through the same incidents. Near the end, the author states, “I hope I never see my abuser again, but if I do, I will forgive. That may sound crazy, but forgiving is the best way to heal.”  She doesn’t want to be around her abuser, but she will forgive her for what she did.  She also states that you can’t blame someone forever because the only way some people can move on is by forgiving them to move on.  My heart goes out to her and I hope others will find the courage and strength to tell about a situation no matter who is involved.