My Trip to California | Teen Ink

My Trip to California

By jknevels BRONZE, Overland Park, Kansas
jknevels BRONZE, Overland Park, Kansas

This past summer my family took an exciting vacation across the country. It was very exciting because I got a chance to see Missouri, Nebraska, Wyoming, Utah, Nevada, California, Arizona, Colorado and my home state of Kansas. I saw new cities and ones I’ve visited before. What was significant was the difference between the states and cities, even though all of them are a part of the United States.

So what stood out? Well first of all the people were different. When I stopped in Cheyenne, Wyoming to eat at Dairy Queen the people were extremely nice but didn’t seemed rushed and the traffic wasn’t bad or at least that is what my Dad said. In comparison to San Francisco when we ate lunch at In and Out Burger the line of people waiting to be served was nearly out the door, also my dad used his GPS to find the closest one to our hotel to avoid having to fight the traffic. Also, I noticed that the people were still nice but seemed very focus on getting their food and getting out. This was also true in Los Angeles and Las Vegas, as well. But in Glenwood Springs, Colorado it seemed more like Cheyenne.

Another difference was how each place looked, my favorite was the mountains that we saw while driving through Colorado. I also loved the beach in California where I was able to swim in the ocean that was really neat. Nebraska reminded me a lot like home, no mountains or oceans but plenty of trees to look at though. Wyoming was different than what I had expected, I really thought it would be like Colorado, but the part we drove through, actually reminded more of a desert. When going through Salt Lake City, the lake really stood out to me, again it wasn’t like lakes in Kansas and didn’t have a lot of wildlife for a lake its’ size. Nevada was desert in the north and south, as I saw both parts on this trip. California was very neat in that it had desert, ocean, and mountains. It also had a lot of tall buildings and a lot of people. Arizona, from what I can remember was very pretty but reddish orange, or at least the rocks and mountains were. And Finally Colorado really, really, really had tall mountains that we got to drive through and were very pretty.

In conclusion, my dad, always says you need to get out and experience different things. I now see why he says this. In this trip I discovered that while we all live in the same country we all have very different experiences depending on where we live. I think everyone should take the time to travel to different areas so that they can also experience what I did. You also will appreciate what your home has to offer. While Kansas may not have mountains, oceans, or a lot of people. What it does have are great friends and family, who make it special. It has snow, hot summers, and beautiful flowers in the spring. Most importantly it has my home and that I wouldn’t trade for anything in the world!