A Guide to the LGBTQ+ World | Teen Ink

A Guide to the LGBTQ+ World

By EliseiSergevnin BRONZE, Blandford Forum, Other
EliseiSergevnin BRONZE, Blandford Forum, Other

1. First of all, if you are a homophobe: just no. It's 2015, welcome; you shouldn't be prejudiced against people just because of their sexual orientation or gender identity. Is it still needed to say that it is not a choice? If it was, then, of course, every queer person there is, woke up one day and said, "Hmm, I know what I'm going to do today…I'll become gay so most people on Earth will hate me, because my life is way too easy". Should I mention that any religious points are invalid? Boo, your god made gay people too. Anything including "being gay is unnatural" is a “try again”, because plenty of animals show patterns of homosexual behaviour: from dragonflies to elephants. Furthermore, the Internet isn't natural, nor is air conditioning. And don't try to defend your narrow-minded views by saying that it is your opinion because you should keep that kind of opinion to yourself exclusively (it affects the lives of other people in a very negative way); same goes for racism, sexism, transphobia and other kinds of discrimination and irrational hatred. Get over yourselves.

2. In addition to that, if someone calls you out for being homo/transphobic, please do not get offended. Just think how the person you’ve hurt feels and say sorry.

3. No, that gay guy isn't attracted to you just because you're a male too. Just like you don't fancy every single girl you see just because she's the opposite sex to you. Same applies to girls. Everyone has a type, please don't flatter yourself. (And usually, gay people are attracted to other gay people because then know for sure that they have a chance)

4. If you think that someone's gay and they haven't told you so; please don't make any assumptions or invade their privacy by asking the question we all know too well: "are you gay" (unless you’re their close friend and you want to show support and love). Because 99% of the time you'll get a no. The person will share it with you when they are ready. Must I say you shouldn't call them names either? (as previously mentioned in point 1)

5. Let’s talk about bi/pansexuals. No, they’re not confused. Nor they are “half gay, half straight”. Bi and pansexuality are their own sexualities. And no, girls are not saying they’re bisexual just to “seem more interesting”, and guys are not doing it to “not come out as gay” and “be more accepted”. Actually, it is quite ironic, because sometimes bisexuals face even more discrimination than gay people. Occasionally, even within their own community, sadly. That is because people generally find the idea of a person being attracted to more than one gender quite confusing, and think that they are attracted to everyone at the same time. Moreover, a lot of the times queer people think bisexuals are just straight, while straight people view bisexuals as gay.

6. This is a general one. There's a thing a lot of people promote called "heteronormativity". An example of it would be asking a girl if she has a boyfriend. By asking so, you imply that she is heterosexual, but there’s she might as well not be. By doing that, you create an illusion that straight is the “norm” and “superior”, which is not true. Just ask a person if they're seeing anyone. Also, don’t assume that everyone's straight. Looking into the future, coming out shouldn’t even be a thing. I don’t remember any heterosexual coming outs. Just because the person hasn’t told you that they’re gay, it doesn’t mean they aren’t.

7. If you know a transgender person please use their preferable pronouns while talking about them. Moreover, do not use their past name. E.g. “Caitlyn Jenner has her own docu-series called “I’m Cait”

8. You literally do not have to add “gay” to every single noun, e.g.: wedding, best friend. It's just a wedding and it’s just your best friend. Let's pretend that the person is Asian, you wouldn't call them your “Asian best friend”, nor you would attend their “Asian” wedding.

9. Please do not ask a gay couple the “who’s the man and who’s the woman” question. Spoiler alert: they're both men or they're both women (or neither - agender), and that's the whole point. By the way, this question goes under the category of heteronormativity mentioned in point 6, not everything needs to be viewed through a straight world lens. Just imagine asking chopsticks which one of them is the fork.

10. Let's talk about “the gay agenda”. It is not to turn you gay (which scientifically speaking is impossible), but to educate, so you won't judge people of something they can't change and that  the next generations will live in a more open-minded and happier society. In addition, no, we’re not shoving it down your throats. And pride parades are there so the members of the LGBT+ society can celebrate who they are and what they have accomplished. And to answer your question about the absence of “straight parades”: the whole world is a one big straight parade; just like there isn’t an “International Men’s Day”, because every single day is one.

11. Please don't get offended if someone asks you if you're gay. Take it as a compliment, because you probably dress and smell nice. Remember that gay people don't get offended if someone thinks they're straight (I mean, they could). I shall also remind you that calling someone “gay” isn't an insult. (it’s not 2009)

12. Stereotypes. As much as they’re not based on nothing, please remember that they can’t apply to everyone! Of course, there are some absolutely and outrageously fabulous gay men out there, but there also are ones that enjoy *insert a hobby put upon men by gender norms of our society here*. And while we are on it, gaydars don’t exist. A person’s sexual orientation isn’t defined by how they act, what they wear and what activities they enjoy doing.

13. Do you still use the word “gay” to point out something weird? It may occur as a surprise, but it is indeed homophobic. I'm pretty sure that the thing you're referring to, doesn't have a sexual orientation or a mood. FYI, “gay” doesn’t mean “weird”, it used to mean “happy”.

14. For my last point, I’d like to say this – please, try to draw a bigger picture. I always found it confusing, that it is thought that everything that queer people do is sit around being gay all day. “That’s Bob and he’s gay”, is a phrase that comes out of a lot of straight people’s mouths while describing their queer friend to someone else. Bob’s occupation isn’t “gay” and his sexual orientation definitely is not the most important thing about him. Imagine being introduced to someone and the first thing that your friend chose to describe you as is “straight”. That would be weird and unnecessary, that’s because the gender of the person you’re attracted to does not define you.

Terminology
• LGBTQIA+ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer/Questioning, Intersex, Agender/Asexual, and all other sexual/gender minorities
• Asexual – a person who doesn’t experience sexual attraction to any group of people, although may or may not have romantic feelings for certain group/s.
• Agender – a person who feels like they do not fit into any genders.
• Bisexual – a person who is attracted to both genders (male + female), or more genders.
• Cisgender – a term to describe someone whose gender identity matches their biological sex
• Gender – social and cultural rules and behaviour patterns that a person follows in order to portray a masculine/feminine image (or neutral)
• Genderfluid – a gender identity of a person that varies over time.
• Intersex- an umbrella term to describe a person whose biological sex cannot be identified, as they have both male and female traits.
• Pansexual – a person who’s attracted to all or many genders.
• Queer – an umbrella term for all sexual/gender minorities. Refers to someone who’s not heterosexual or/and cisgender.
• Transgender – a person whose gender identity does not match their biological sex.

Even though a lot of people are more accepting and tolerant these days; there are still a lot of misconceptions and misunderstanding about the LGBTQ+ community. I decided to breakdown some of them, so people will have a better idea about the queer community.