Keep Going | Teen Ink

Keep Going

The sun was out and it was a warm summer day, which was uncommon in Washington. I had just invited my friend Cadon over to enjoy the day we came up with a great idea to grab branch/bush cutters and go into the forest, we asked my brother if he wanted to come, he said “yes.” The air in the forest smelled funny and was thick on the hot day.

We made a maze of trails throughout the small strip of trees as we explored the forest, the leaves there were brushing our legs were like little hands trying to grab our legs we were having fun exploring, climbing trees and doing other things like building forts. The forest smelled of wet leaves and moss. We got lots of lots cuts and scratches that would sting or make holes in our pants and shirts from all the thorn bushes. Eventually we came across a small stream, the water looked brownish and had lots of leaves and garbage in it. We took turns walking across a fallen over tree The water of the stream splashed against the fallen over tree, as I slowly made my way across the slippery fallen over tree that was covered with soggy moss and made squeaky sounds as my feet dragged across the tree.

My brother Damien jumped across the stream and made it, I made it across the tree, but my friend Cadon didn’t make it, he fell in the creek with a large splash getting, a little water on me and came up soaking wet. he didn’t want to go back yet so we kept exploring and talking about what we should do when we get home.

Later Me, Cadon and Damien were walking on another fallen over tree, this one wasn’t wet and had a bunch of thorn bushes around it, we were all walking on it when Damien tried walking out on one of the branches and fell into a couple of thorn bushes and got tons of scratches, he said “I’m okay.”, he was okay and wanted to keep going. Right around the time when the sun was going down there was a tall tree with a low branch, I thought I could and wanted to climb the tree so my brother put his hand out to give me a boost up the tree I ran put my foot on his hand and i jumped, grabbed the branch and it made a snapping sound and broke instantly, i fell on my back with the branch falling on my stomach, it felt like someone dropping a weight on my stomach.

We all stopped for a moment and talked about whether we should go back or not, Damien said “ I think we should go back because it’s getting late and we’ve all gotten hurt.”

I said “ I know it’s late but the sun is still out can’t we stay a little bit longer until the starts to set?”

Damien asked “ Cadon what do you want to do?”

Cadon, not knowing whose side to take said “ I don’t know i’m fine with whatever you guys
decide.”

Damien said “ we should go back in at least 5-10 minutes.”

I said “ok, fine.”

Then we wandered around a little bit and realised we all wanted to go home and were thinking there would always be time tomorrow. We started to head back, making little landmarks for the next time we went into the forest. All of us were glad that we didn’t give up when Cadon fell in the creek and kept going because we all had fun even though we got hurt or something bad happened.`