L.O.V.E | Teen Ink

L.O.V.E

L-living hell
O-out of my mind
V-verge of death
E-everythings fine

Imagine if you were so upset (depressed) that you were sitting in your room crying with a blade in your hand. Door locked so no one can stop you or save you from yourself and you just sit there on your bloody sheets from the past nights. 1 in 12 young adults engage in self harm. Mainly girls 10% continue into adulthood. Self harm is a problem in our world today because for those who do self harm they are harshly judged sometimes to the point of suicide.

Self harm is becoming very common. According to www.afps.org Wyomi has the highest precentage of self harm/suicide (22.97%).  In addition most of my friends self harm or have before and 2 to 3 million americans engage in self harm each year. I think that its scary how many people and cutting/burning etc. But to me it can't be that scary I was one of those 2 to 3 million people engaging in self harm.

The most common thing people use to self harm depends on the type of self harm(healthdirect).
Cutting-razor blades/knives/broken glass
Burning-rope/ erasers/lighters
Others- guns/rope/sandpaper/cans/staples/pencils/pens

People start to self harm because they feel abandoned/afraid/threatened/depressed/angry. These feelings are called triggers they can cause a relapes( after stopping then starting to self harm agian).The most common place for teens to self harm is their arms.In my opinion it is hard to not commit to your triggers and relapse. I had been clean for 2 months then my friend said something and I relaspsed to the point where i tried to commit suicide 5 times. The urges and triggers are hard to ignore and when set off can be fatal

Being bullied to the point of self harm if hard enough but when you’re then bullied because of it it makes things even worse. I am still bullied to this day for it.67.9% of teens are bullied because of their self harm. They get called cutters and razor freaks. Even if they have stopped most of the time the scars are VERY noticeable and that is just as terrible. I have gotten picked on by my teachers because of it especially the more noticeable ones. They are hard to hide and to not be paranoid that people can see them.

Self harm is a terrible thing people who do self harm are judged harshly for it being so harshly ridiculed for it can lead to a relapse or suicide. That numb feeling can disappear but not through cutting,burning,etc. But through support and coping. If you see an introverted person and you see their scars do not make fun of them because their life isn’t as extroverted as yours. nobody's life is perfect.

we had to write editorials and i felt strongly about the subject of self harm as well as having a personal connection to this peice