A Crazy Valentine's Day | Teen Ink

A Crazy Valentine's Day

By knajor BRONZE, Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
knajor BRONZE, Bloomfield Hills, Michigan

Bella was running around trying to find her lipstick and earrings as she looked at the clock and realized she was running late. It was Valentine’s Day and she was going on a blind date. Her new friend Anna set her up and told her how much she was going to love the guy. Anna is a few years older than Bella, Anna is 30 and Bella is 27. They have been good friends for about a three months. Anna had golden curly blonde hair and was tall. Bella and Anna always hung out such as going to the gym and doing yoga together. Bella had straight brown hair with caramel brown highlights, she curled her hair and made sure her makeup was flawless. She wanted to make this date perfect after having her heart broken from her last boyfriend.
She was wearing floral fit and flare dress that was maroon, black, and grey, with black heels. This dress was her favorite because she felt pretty in it.  The apartment was very cozy and had a lot of wood, and one of the walls was a brick wall. The lights were always dimmed because it made her feel like there was no worry in the world and she could relax. There was a lot grey and gold colors in there and a fireplace that was almost always lit when she was home. She threw on her trench coat and dashed out of her apartment. She ran down the stairs because she was on the second floor. Then she busted through the main doors and yelled for a taxi. There seemed to be no taxis therefore she started to run to the street over to see if any were over there. She finally found a taxi and jumped in. She told him the address, 789 Nevada St, Manhattan, New York and said “Step on it”. The restaurant was called The Alaveta Bistro. It was a nice restaurant, known for their pizza.
As she was sitting in the taxi she thought of the man she was about to meet. She thought about his looks, career, and personality. She imagined a guy that had honey blond hair and was attractive. Will he have glasses? But she said to herself that it doesn’t matter because personality is the most important part. He needed to be funny and a gentleman. She started to get nervous and excited all at the same time. The career wasn’t that big of an issue as long as he wasn’t living at his parents’ house. All the sudden the taxi driver slowed down. She said to him “What is going on? Why did we stop? I need to be at the restaurant in four minutes. Why are you doing this to me?”. The taxi driver replied and said with a jersey accent,
“There’s five o’clock traffic. What do you want me to do? Drive on top of the cars?”
“Yes! That’s exactly what I want you to do. How far away are we?”
“About twenty minutes with traffic but if you walk it would be about ten minutes.”
“Okay. How much is it?”
She gave the man the money and got out of the taxi and ran as fast as she could. Her curly hair was starting to fall out and she was holding her heels in her hands. Bella was running up the block hoping to get the restaurant as soon as possible. She was finally there and her hair was looser and her feet were dirty. So she threw on her shoes and put lipstick on.  The night was not going the way she had planned and she hoped that something would turn around.
The hostess guided her to the table and as she walked she was looking around seeing red and pink candles everywhere. She thought this was their way of decorating for Valentine’s Day. Bella saw the man's outfit, he was wearing a dark brown shirt with a navy tie and pants. She thought to herself that the outfit looked familiar and then she realized something and stopped walking. She felt her jaw open. It was him, Clay, the Clay as in referring to the ex that broke her heart. All the images of the man she pictured had disappeared. She thought for a split second to turn around and run away but then they made eye contact. All the images in her head disappeared of what she had imagined him being and she felt her face turn red. She thought to herself “Why, I’ve tried so hard and I am stuck with him”. She felt embarrassed and mad, angry that she couldn’t go on a date with a normal guy, a guy that didn’t break up with her for no reason after being together for two years. So she walked up to the table and sat down really fast, he didn’t say anything. Then she said “We can just go home, there is no need to do this”.
She started to think about how upset she was after they broke up and how much she missed him. She missed his brunette hair, how he could always make her laugh, and his smile. But her favorite thing about him was how much he cared about her and whenever she was having a bad day he would come right over to make sure she was okay. Then he said something “Bella, I miss you. I don’t think this was a mistake so why don’t we try it again. I am sorry I hurt you but will you go on this date with me?”. She felt butterflies in her stomach, it felt like the first time he asked her out. She nervously said, “Sure.” and they started their date.
The whole date they were laughing and talking about the events that had happened since they had last seen each other. The entire time she was thinking about how she was so happy it ended up being him instead of a stranger. In the middle of the date he put his hand on top of hers and their fingers interlocked. It didn’t feel like he had betrayed her but like they had never broken up.
She could tell he wanted to say something to her so she said,
“Do you need to say something? You look like you have something on your mind.”
“Yes- I need to say something but I just don’t know how to say it.”
She was sitting on the edge of her seat just waiting for it to come out of his mouth.
“Okay so the truth is this date wasn’t an accident. I asked Anna to “set us up” because I knew if I texted you, you wouldn’t answer. Please don’t be mad I just wanted a second chance and I knew this would be the only way.”
She was at loss for words. She didn’t know if she should be mad or happy. Then she wondered how he knew Anna.
“How do you know Anna?”
“We met at a work function. How do you know her?”
“I met her at the gym and we became good friends. So I am little loss for words on this whole blind date but not really blind date thing. I am kind okay with it but am a little mad. Why didn’t you text me? I would have answered.”
“I know you well enough to know you wouldn’t answer or you would have said no.”
He knew her too well. She started to look down and then he pulled her chin up and kissed her. She felt fireworks when they kissed. Then she let him kiss her again. She knew it wasn’t worth it to get mad at him. In the end it wasn’t to hurt her but to make both of them happy.
“Okay, I’m not mad at you. We can get back together.”
Then he said “I love you.”
She said, “I love you, too.”