The Storm Is Only the Beginning | Teen Ink

The Storm Is Only the Beginning

By MarcusMac BRONZE, Menahga, Minnesota
MarcusMac BRONZE, Menahga, Minnesota

I'm sitting on a log just looking out at the very calm and peaceful lake. A large white pine stands in the distance, with many curving branches. White pines are beautiful trees, and their needles as soft as silk. A chipmunk stopped by for a chat with me, as I sat on the kind log that fell perfectly in this spot so I could sit and enjoy the view of the lake and its skin soft surface.  The lake is freshly blown glass, so smooth I can see right to the bottom. Where I’m looking, I can see some rocks, sand, branches, and a little muck and seaweed too. The sun is peeking out of the clouds like hope on a bad day. I see many vibrant colors; red, orange and green. These colors pop out against the dull brown of the dead leaves. The lake is so incredibly still that I can see a mirror image of the spirited colors on the other side. Unfortunately, I think this stillness is just the calm before the storm.

This summer was very calm for me, I loved it. I knew what I was going to do every day when I woke up in the morning, and had nothing to worry about. All I did was go to work to set trees in  holes I dug (otherwise known as landscaping). I enjoyed my peaceful summer of landscaping and freedom. I didn't have to think much, was very active, and was able to be outside in nature all day long. I slept well most nights because I was tired, and actually felt like I did something that day. It was very peaceful, like this serene lake.  No worries. Unfortunately, a storm is coming followed by winter the signs are unmistakable. The lake is starting to churn as the wind picks up.  The lake will get colder, and the leaves’ colors change as they die.

The storm, or the start of school.

The start of school comes with tons of homework. Tons of homework comes with tons of stress. I’m shoving knowledge into my head for the next test. I'm getting shoved into crowded hallways full of loud people. I have to choose a college, a decision that will affect the rest of my life. I have to ride through this storm and do well to be ready for college, winter, change. I have to try to get scholarships, keep up my grades, go to class, take the ACT again to try and get a better score. More classes! Lecturing! Homework! Preparation for the huge test coming up!  All while Figuring out what I want to do for the rest of my life…

I don't have to do all of this work. I chose to sign up for after school activities and take college classes. Even with so much stress, I know that it will be worth it, that's why I put so much work into it. Sometimes everything does get to me though. I can’t handle it and I stop doing what needs to get done. That's why I don't think about it. I take every day, every assignment, and every application a step at a time or else I could not do it.

As I look out at the lake, I see the clouds coming and I feel the wind pick up a little bit. Will there be a bad storm? Yet, no storm or even winter lasts forever. I will get through it and be renewed because of it. The sun will come up again and the peace will come back. The chill of winter puts the foliage to ruin, but spring will renew the forest. The ice will melt, and the lake will return to normal. The dead trees will give life to mushrooms, then new fertile dirt, then new trees. This is just a temporary hibernation for the forest.

* The lake will thaw, and the forest will awaken. After winter, new life will grow, and I will be ready to enter the life of adulthood. A sunset gleaming across the lake.