Cause-Effect Essay | Teen Ink

Cause-Effect Essay

By MarienaRenae SILVER, Park Rapids, Minnesota
MarienaRenae SILVER, Park Rapids, Minnesota

Chi Chi Rodriguez was born in Rio Piedras, Puerto Rico (Chi Chi Rodriguez). His golf career began in 1960 with his first appearance in the Professional Golfer’s Association (PGA) Buick Open (Chi Chi Rodriguez). However, before all of his success, the Rodriguez family struggled financially (Chi Chi Rodriguez). Chi Chi and his family were like many other Latin American families, struggling to survive.  Chi Chi started working in the sugarcane fields in order to bring in money to help his family put food on the table (Chi Chi Rodriguez). After a short period of working in the fields, he found that working as a golf course caddy could bring in more money (Chi Chi Rodriguez). His true success came when he started playing the senior PGA tour and eventually opened the Chi Chi Rodriguez Youth Foundation, an organization that helps children improve their lives through the game of golf. This created the icon we know as Chi Chi Rodriguez (Chi Chi Rodriguez).

Much like Chi Chi Rodriguez, the immigration of Latin American people to the United States forever changed the face of this country. Firstly, the promise of economic stability drew the first crowds of immigrants to the United States in 1910. Secondly, the political discrimination the people in Latin America endured made the US a safe harbor. These two major events had a huge effect on the US. An increased work force was a major outcome, along with numerous acts and laws being enacted. The immigration of so many also caused increased population as well as increased poverty.

Economic opportunities are the major reasons for early Hispanic immigration into the US (HISPANIC AMERICANS). The beginning of the Mexican Revolution in 1910 sparked the largest rate of Latin American immigration in the history of the United States (Timeline of Important Dates).  By train, Mexican people poured into the United States to escape the violence of their homeland. They were encouraged and permitted to enter the United States in order to take the place of workers who were off to fight the First World War. The Great Depression marked an end to the immigration from Latin American countries. After WWII, history appeared to repeat with a huge influx of Latin American people being encouraged to enter the US (Latino Americans: Timeline of Important Events).

Another reason for the huge influx of people into the US is due to the political unrest in numerous Latin American countries. For example, Cuba. Thousands of Cubans since the late 1800’s have made their way to the US to escape political persecution. The Bay of Pigs and the Cuban Missile Crisis were two of the main sources of political unrest in Cuba. The citizens of Cuba saw the United States military come in and fight for their freedom and they wanted to be a part of this freedom. (Cuban Immigrants: Deal Paves the Way for Thousands of Cuban Immigrants Heading to US).

Latin American immigration into the US has had multiple effects on this country, some good, some bad. For example, more people in the US means an increased work force. Also numerous laws and acts have been enacted. However, there are also negative effects, such as an increased rate of poverty.

A major effect with the immigration is the increased work force in the United States. Mexican Americans alone account for nearly 4 percent of this country’s GDP (Business Insider: Impact of Mexican Immigrants). Along with contributing greatly to the United State’s economy, the Mexican population also represents the majority of unauthorized workers in this country at approximately 60 percent (Business Insider: Impact of Mexican Immigrants).

However, the economy of the US at multiple times throughout history wasn’t always stable enough to support the flow of Latin Americans to this country.  The “Border Control” was first introduced in 1925 by Congress as a plan to control the amount of illegal immigrants making their way across the border (PBS Latino Americans: Timeline of Important Events). Along with the beginning of the deportation of between 300,000 and 500,000 Mexican Americans in the 1930s alone, From 2007-2009, the United States economy plummeted, so immigration slowed down to a near halt (Business Insider: Impact of Mexican Immigration).

Immigration was a continuous concept of political debate from the 1980s through the

1990s. Several anti-immigration laws were brought into effect. Such as The Immigration Reform Act of 1986 which tried to resolve this issue by ultimately providing more options to pursue a legal form of immigration (US Immigration Since 1965). The Immigration Act of 1990 was another such piece of legislation during the immigration debate. This act expounded on the previous act established in 1965. Throughout the course of 2010 and 2011, the immigration rate also slowed. Known as the “Arizona Effect”, or a series of anti-immigration laws starting with the passing of laws in Arizona extending into Indiana, Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama, and South Carolina (Business Insider: Impact of Mexican Immigration). A total of nearly 800,000 Mexican Americans were affected by both these issues (Business Insider: Impact of Mexican Immigration).

Lastly, with any increase in population, generally comes an increase in poverty. Percentages of parent employment have significantly dropped throughout the years (Poverty Grows Among Children of Immigrants in the US). Many immigrant parents, mainly mothers, are proven to be less motivated to engage in a steady form of employment (Poverty Grows Among Children of Immigrants in the US). Married couples, with at most a high school education, have dropped in employment rate as well (Poverty Grows Among Children of Immigrants in the US). Within a time period of thirty years, the rate of employment among married immigrant couples has dropped between fourteen and fifteen percent (Poverty Grows Among Children of Immigrants in the US).

In order to establish a connection between the causes and the effects of Latin American immigration to the United States, many events must be taken into consideration. For example, the poverty of their homeland versus the economic opportunity in the US caused the largest percentage of growth in immigration for this time. Overall, the immigration of Latin Americans into the United States was ultimately a good thing for this nation. From bilingual traffic signs and an increase in popularity of other cultural foods and restaurants. Something as simple as putting together a child's toy, comes with directions in  both Spanish and English. Most forms come in both languages as well. Being bilingual has become not only increasingly popular but also offers numerous job opportunities. Much like the Norwegians and germans who immigrated to this country in the late 1800’s, the Latin American population has been able to improve their economic and social standings. With each new generation comes advanced education and economic stability.