BAFTA Games | Teen Ink

BAFTA Games

By McSucher GOLD, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
McSucher GOLD, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

BAFTA Games award for best game, VXG award for best PS3 game, and lastly BAFTA Games award for story. The Last of Us has siezed all of these awesome awards but according to metacritic.com the game only received a rating of 6.8 out of 10 from 98 critics. I’m going to try to settle the dispute whether The Last of Us is award-winning or a money-waster. On deciding how to tell I’ll be describing the game’s gameplay and storyline, but also claiming if The Last of Us is entertaining or disappointing.

The Last of Us is a crossover between game The Walking Dead Survival Instinct by Activision and the game Dead Island by Techland and Deep Silver. Although The Last of Us is not a first-person shooter like a lot of the succeeding Call of Duty francis, but still is a well known game even though it’s in the Action role-playing and Survival horror genres. The Last of Us has ravishing graphics whether you’re on the console PS3 or PS4 the game’s graphic were really superior. The company Naughty Dog put a lot of time and money into this game but turned downed by a lot of Pro-first person shooter gamers or anti-survival horror gamers and only go for the games they love. An awesome thing about The Last of Us is that it offers more than just the story, their Multiplayer. Added in 2013 Multiplayer isn’t much considering that they only have 3 game modes Supply raid, survivors, and Interrogation. Not really impressive in my opinion but venerated by other players. Despite the fact multiplayer is more popular than the story mode, it still remains superior. The storyline has a really good plot, because the story is cut up into three sections: Summer, Winter, and Spring. Summer is the majority of the story while a small portion is winter and the rest is spring. The story is about a carpenter named Joel who lives in Austin, Texas and is a only parent with a 14-year old girl named Sarah. On the night of the cordyceps brain infection outbreak, Joel’s brother Tommy comes to pick up the two in sought out to the military checkpoint but then crashes the car, the daughter dies,and Joel and Tommy get to safety. I realize that spoiling the plot wouldn’t be too good, so this is more of a teaser. The characters in the game are main characters Joel and Ellie, important characters Tess and Tommy, and a few others. A cool thing about this is that Ellie, who is also 14-years old, is real special because ordinary people can relate to her by her actions and emotions. As time progressed through the story Joel and Ellie start to develop a relationship between each other. This game has a whole lot of plot twist by there jumpscares to surprise scenarios. For example at the end Joel lies to Ellie about what had happen and the gamers had no idea that he would do that. From all of this information, is this game entertainable?

It is hard to tell whether this game is good or not because there are some circumstances like ratings that are out of this world like 10\10 on IGN and 5\5 on SonyEntertainment but also depressing ones like 7.5\10 on Polygon and 6.8\10 on Metacritic. People can argue whether this game is great but the important thing is that they need to know the facts. Since the game was only on PlayStation systems, Naughty Dog decides to “remaster” The Last of Us for the next generation console PS4 with bonus gameplay called Left Behind, a continuation of the storyline which is notably a complete success. Besides all of those meaningless ratings, according to Commonsensemedia The Last of Us teaches the gamer self-direction, collaboration, creativity, and of course thinking and reasoning. The game wasn’t created with educational intent nor it’s recommended for learning, but it’s just for fun.

All of the information gathered for this dispute can really puzzel a person who hasn’t played the game yet. In my opinion I think The Last of Us is a really great game and other players back me up on this, but then other Major League Gaming Call of Duty players think that the game is complete waste of money. Everyone has their own opinion which doesn’t always claim to be true. The storyline, gameplay, and entertainable can basically sum the game up into one paper and all the facts and opinions that are stated too. Whether it’s the majority or the minority of players they can decide if The Last of Us is worthy, not me.