Being a Vegetarian | Teen Ink

Being a Vegetarian

Being a vegetarian is a choice of lifestyle a person would make. Being a vegetarian means that you do not eat meat. People say that it is cruel to kill animals for food. On the other hand people also say that it is not cruel it is a natural part of the natural cycle of life. There are more benefits to eating meat or not being a vegetarian.

Eating meat has been part of human evolution for 2.3 million years. Since people have been eating meat for ages are taste buds have been made to crave meat.  “ Raising beef is often the most efficient way to produce food for humans.” stats the article “Should People become a Vegetarian?” Meat is also a convenient protein source, meat provides vitamins that plants can not.

In the article “Con Vegetarianism” by Juliana Alvarez they wrote “Meat offers a wide range of nutrients that are crucial to one’s health, that vegetarians lack.” In the article “Should People become a Vegetarian?” They stated that “ Meat provides healthy saturated fats.” They also stated that “ A diet with meat provide a better source of iron.” Eating meat is not bad for the environment it is rather good.

Vegetarians are not necessarily good for the environment. In the article “Should People become a Vegetarian?” They wrote “About 90% of US cropland suffers from top soil loss at 13 times the sustainable rate.” In the article “A Study Did NOT Actually Find That Vegetarianism Hurts The Planet.” They stats “ Producing lettuce creates more greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions than bacon.” Studies have shown that be vegetarian is actually worse for the environment.

In the article “5 Reasons I don’t  Recommend Going Vegetarian.” They wrote that “often when people are vegetarians it leads to sugar addiction.” Being a vegetarian is a person's choice but it is better to not be a vegetarian.

This piece is about being a vegetarian.