Trendy Moves and Grooves | Teen Ink

Trendy Moves and Grooves

By _Jessi_ BRONZE, Houston, Texas
_Jessi_ BRONZE, Houston, Texas

Always strive and prosper.

“Betcha can’t whip like me! Can’t MIlly Rock like me! Can’t sexy walk like me! Can’t hit the quan like me, eh!” are some of the lyrics of Dlow’s “Bet you can’t do it like me” hit single, which features many of the unique line dances. These Dances have become well-known for these past few years. In particular the most famous ones are the whip, the quan, the folks, and the dab! The dab along with whip are the most basic moves of them all. The dab is basically leaning to the side , and then placing your arm of the side your leaning across your face while the other arm is going the same direction. While the whip is essentially having your hand in a fist and throwing your arm across your chest. These dances are even recognized by famous people such as LeBron James, because he always dabs during games, this implies how large the trends are. Celebrities have somewhat promoted the trends by dancing them during important interviews,games, or even the Oscars! These dances are utilized mainly by city teens, as most trends are with teens. Although it may have become popular, some people still wonder why people do it. According to Chason Booker, he says “people just do it to be caught up with all the hottest trends so they won’t be outsider”. He also implied that the trends are a way to have fun with your friends. The dances are a fast growing trend, but it’s also part of pop-culture for Rap, Hip Hop, and R&B. These genres have vastly grown the trends and helped spread the culture. The dances seem like a foolish trend, but they show us what our culture is all about. Especially when they're combined with modern music. Trends have been around for ages, but we rarely see them with music. There are many examples to back this up such as the very famous, “whip”. Before its popularity, it was a simple move just as any other one. But then the rap duo “Rae Sremmurd” starting promoting it as their signature move as soon as they rose up to fame. It rapidly caught on, but it didn’t catch on as big as soon as “Silento” dropped his new single a while back. The song ‘Watch me” by “Silento” quickly got global attention, and faster than light all the trends of line dances caught on. Not only that but music started producing music featuring these line dances. Rapper “IloveMemphis” also became another person who would then drop a hot single, “Hit the Quan”, which captivated the whole culture. As soon the song dropped it grabbed worldwide attention, causing new school rappers to compete with each other by coming up with the catchiest song by spotlighting these dances. After a short silence of music being released, music relating to these trends came faster then light one after another. All across the world including countries such as Pakistan, Spain, Germany, even Canada were praising these songs by recording videos dancing to them. Of course the trend landed in America. All over the radio you can hear some of these songs. It’s been shown that these dances along with Hip-Hop are a huge part of our culture. Even in neighboring countries the trends caught one, thanks to globalization. You always see people having fun doing these dances along listening to the music. Culture along trends go together very balanced, which shows us what our generation is all about, and display what is fun in today’s time. Keeping up with these trends can be entertaining.

I truly love music. I feel like its a platform to express yourself no matter what genre it is.