Why the United States of America Should Have Compulsory Service | Teen Ink

Why the United States of America Should Have Compulsory Service

Across the Atlantic Ocean, my Israeli friends are receiving a letter which will begin the process of their compulsory service. They will participate in numerous assessments, and at the age of eighteen they will begin their period of service, whether military service or supporting Israel in non-combatant ways (civilian service).  The United States of America should require a period of national service from its citizens, after high school or at age eighteen, in order to transform youth into mature, young adults.

A mandatory period of national service would allow citizens, primarily youth, to become skilled, reliable adults. Joshua J. Jackson, an experienced researcher of psychology in Arts and Sciences at Washington University in St. Louis, tested the maturity of numerous men before and after national service:  “Researchers tested the men's personalities during high school and re-tested them three times in the six years following either civilian or military service. Not surprisingly, all of the participants scored higher on measures indicative of maturity”(MILITARY SERVICE).  Civilian service also increases young adults maturity as shown in this excerpt from an article titled “More Students Participate in Gap Year and Service Programs Before College”: “Stephen Kamholtz, Arly’s father, said he saw a significant change in his son’s maturity after participating in AmeriCorps. ‘He seemed much more like a young man rather than an old boy,’ he said” (Zimar).  AmeriCorps is a domestic program in the United States that focuses on education, public safety, the environment and more important topics.  As said, AmeriCorps also provided self benefits; additionally, it allowed Arly Kamholtz to become more mature.  Such changes of maturity can help solve numerous problems within our society.  For example, a group in Georgia is attempting to lower the age which a citizen could run for public office.  However, the issue with any attempt to lower a voting age is that people strongly support the statement that young adults act too immature: “Drawing on empirical data collected in nationally representative surveys, we argue the weight of the evidence suggests that young people are, to a significant degree, politically less mature than older people” (Suhay, Lisa).  National service would create an outcome of more mature, politically aware, young adults.  This statement is exemplified when  Kris Bigalk, a Normandale community college professor, talked about her experience with 11th and 12th graders taking college courses: “Many succeed-- and some fail.  Some of it is due to lack of maturity” (Friedrich).  National service after high school would provide citizens with the opportunity to become more mature, allowing them to achieve greater success.  Military service, just one example of national service, allows youth to develop into mature adults, through developing discipline, leadership skills, and courage.  Uncoincidentally 32 of our 43 United States Presidents served in the military (The American Presidency).  Who doesn’t want to have similar leadership abilities to the greatest leaders of our country?  Mandatory national service would improve both the United States and the country’s individuals, as its citizens become more educated and prepared and mature.

Although much evidence can be shown exemplifying why compulsory service would be beneficial; like all controversial topics, people will still find reasons why it would not be a good idea.  Many who oppose this idea believe requiring young adults to participate in national service, directly after high school or at the age of 18, would impede the whole process of attending college.  However, if compulsory service after high school or at the age of 18 was made mandatory, all citizens would be required to participate.  This would force attending college at an age later than 18 to become a social norm.  Not only would attending college at a later age become socially accepted, but it would be more beneficial for those who attend. An article titled “Ready or Not: Immature But Headed to College” says, “College is being underwritten by parents’ hard-earned cash, loans in both the parents’ and the students’ names, and student summer earnings. The student has uneven skills in managing time, money, and responsibilities” (Hartwell-Walker).  This excerpt from the article spoke to the issue of how students are attending college even though they may not be mature enough yet.  This article even said, “probably most kids” (Hartwell-Walker), when speaking about immature kids attending college.  Now, if you refer to the beginning of the second paragraph, strong evidence via tests and surveys displayed that participants who served in the military scored higher in maturity than participants who did not serve.  Requiring national service after high school or at age 18 would allow students to be more mature when attending college.  Surely all parents would want their children to be more mature when they are beginning their first year of college.

With compulsory national service, the United States and its citizens would benefit. Not only will our country gain more support from its citizens, but citizens will gain more maturity and education on topics involving their country. This will allow citizens to become more involved in their communities, and prepared to succeed in later obstacles such as college and future careers.  Everyone wants to become the best they can become.  Possessing maturity and education equates to owning gold, while lacking them compares to owning nothing. The United States of America should implement compulsory national service and make their citizens more mature young adults!

I went to Israel this summer and found it amazing how easily everyone takes for granted that we are able to do whatever we want after high school (college, trade school, work, ect.).  Meanwhile, all the teens who I met in Israel have to participate in compulsory service directly after high school.