Pansexuality and Bisexuality | Teen Ink

Pansexuality and Bisexuality

By ebmeditation BRONZE, Waupun, Wisconsin
ebmeditation BRONZE, Waupun, Wisconsin

Whenever I come out to someone as a pansexual, I always have to educate that someone on what pansexuality is.  There is nothing like coming out to someone and then having to proceed to explain what it is. Many times when  I have come out to someone that individual then begins to tell me that bisexuality and pansexuality isn’t a real thing and that pansexuality is something Tumblr made up. Some have also asked me if I was attracted to cooking pans or animals… which can get really weird. Some have accused me of being a “special snowflake”. Others have laughed and told me that I am just confused or that it’s just a phase. Many don’t take me seriously just because of my age.

Contrary to popular belief, sexualities in the middle of the spectrum do exist, and it’s not a bad thing. Some people believe it to exist while others argue that those who claim to be bisexual or pansexual are just confused and/or questioning their sexuality. However, this isn’t the case.

People have a difficult time trying to wrap their heads around the idea of being attracted to more than one sex.  Fore some reason, it seems to be a foreign concept. I’ve met people that just simply believe that it truly isn’t possible. I have read that several people, including people who identify as homosexual, believe that those who identify as bisexual or pansexual are just in denial about being a homosexual themselves. There are some bisexuals and pansexuals who actually are in denial about being homosexual, but the majority of people who identify as a sexuality in the middle of the spectrum are what they say they are.

The definitions of bisexuality and pansexuality are different.  There seems to be a popular argument that the two sexualities are the exact same thing and that those who identify as pansexual are just “special snowflakes” looking for attention.  I found  the dictionary.com definition for bisexuality is “sexualy attracted to men and women.” The dictionary.com definition for pansexuality is “someone who is not limited by gender, gender identity, or biological sex.” This means that those who are pansexual technically can be attracted to anyone. Bisexuals can only be attracted to those who are male or female, not those who are transgender or nonbinary like pansexuals can.

The full LGBTQ+ acronym is LGBTTQQIAAP (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, transsexual, queer, questioning, intersex, asexual, ally, pansexual). Pansexuality and bisexuality is part of the full acronym which means it is recognized by the LGBTQ+ community. Also, since I feel this way and many others feel the same as I do, it must be valid.

Something I hear often is that pansexuality can’t possibly be a thing because there are only two genders...which there isn’t. Gender by the dictionary definition is “The state of being male or female (typically used with reference to social and cultural differences rather than biological ones).” What many people mistake gender for is the biological state of one’s body. Gender is actually what people perceive themselves to be. Some people just view themselves to be both male and female while some people view themselves to be neither. Pansexuals can be attracted to any of these including the biological sexes and transgenders.

Hopefully this helps you realize that bisexuality and pansexuality is valid and that they really do exist. Those of you who identify with either of these sexualities I hope that this helps you to not be afraid to be open about your sexuality and to help fight these accusations that we have created these sexualities just to make us feel “queer” and to disguise the fact that we are actually gay. Let's help those against us understand that this isn’t the case. For those of you who don’t identify with these sexualities I want you to think about this for awhile and realize that it is all valid and that bisexuality and pansexuality is a real thing.

Being pansexual myself I felt the need to write an article providing evidence that pansexuality and bisexuality are indeed real sexualities. I have been mocked and not taken seriously because of my sexuality and I wish to help prevent this from happening to anyone else. Stay strong.