Listening to Music? | Teen Ink

Listening to Music?

By versacegatti@eisenhowerms BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
versacegatti@eisenhowerms BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey

“I’m quite into listening to music and not doing anything else.” ~ Jonny Greenwood. Listening to music has a negative effect on education because not only does it distract one from their studies, but it also impacts a work environment and puts stress on the brain.

First, listening to music can distract one from their school studies. Glenn Schellenberg, a professor in the psychology department at the University of Toronto, published a study that indicates fast, loud background music hinders reading comprehension. Studies have been shown that when one listens to obnoxious and disruptive music or background noise. For example, TV on, people talking and siblings playing music loudly. It can interfere with one’s learning abilities. Therefore, if any loud music or noise is present in the background, it can and will disrupt one from their school studies, mostly because a lot of people like listening to loud music. People’s minds tend to wander according to Dr. Sood, “and we know that a wandering mind is unhappy” (Padnani). Listening to music can cause the mind to wander off, “which makes the mind unhappy, which makes one unhappy because one didn’t complete what needed to be done or what one were doing”. This will not only make one unhappy but it will also take away time from one’s studies. Some may say that by listening to music when  study is a beneficial thing for you, and it helps one focus at the tasks at hand. However, studies have shown that listening to music can result in one’s mind wandering off and to cause one to lose concentration on their studies. The more one doesn’t listen to music while trying to complete homework, the less of an impact it will have on one’s studies.

Second, listening to music can have a negative more than a positive effect in one’s work environment. He said some supervisors might think that workers wearing headphones weren’t fully engaged and were blocking out important interactions. Using earbuds to listen to music while working is having an impact on social interactions with customers. Other studies have shown that listening to music while engaged in complex cognitive tasks can  impair performance. When listening to music and working on a more difficult task, it can damage one’s performance rate. But for intensive work, lyrics are especially destructive for focus. Research shows that “intelligible” chatter—talking that can be clearly heard and understood—is what makes for a distracting environment. Shifting focus to figure out what someone else is saying is the reason why speech is often considered the most troublesome element of a noisy office; in one study, 48% of participants listed intelligible talking as the sound which distracted them the most. Music is distracting, especially to workers with more hands on tasks. Some may say that music helps to focus on their work or while their doing work. However studies have shown that listening to music or having music in the background can interfere with tasks at work. When listening to music while working it can hinder one’s ability to focus or concentrate on the task at hand.

Music can not only distract one but it can also stress your brain out. Listening to lyrical music while reading or writing can hinder your ability to do so because the side of your brain that is in charge of these processes are overloaded by the words of the artist. By listening to music and trying to finish reading a book, it can stress out your brain by all of the words being put into one’s mind, so your brain goes into overdrive and that can put stress on you. It's designed specifically to reduce the amount of time one think you're waiting, so that you're less likely to hang up in anger. Other places that involve waiting, such as doctors' offices, use a similar trick. Time shrinkage is also the aim of most retail stores, which is why you'll rarely enter a mall, supermarket or clothing store without hearing some sort of music in the background. By listening to music, it can cause one to lose track of time, which stresses the brain out because you're trying to remember that one have an appointment at 5:00 pm, but since one went to the mall for milk and music was playing u forgot and now you're stressed out and your brain because you're now trying to figure out what to do next. Music activates many regions of the brain, including auditory, motor and limbic (associated with emotions). Such widespread activation of brain explains many beneficial emotional and cognitive music effects. Music can mess with any part of the brain but mainly emotional which causes stress on the brain because it can put one into emotional distress based on the song and the intensity of the song and the emotional attachment to the song. Some people say that listening to music relaxes and calms your mind. However, it will most likely cause one to stress out because the words from the music and the papers one trying to study will overwhelm one.

Finally, listening to music does have a negative effect on most things including the important ones like, education because distracts one from their studies, but it also impacts a work environment and puts stress on the brain. So one might be wondering why would I care? Well, one should because music can decrease your chances of excelling in anything pertaining to work, school, and health. If one are  one who listens to music while trying to accomplish school, work or improving on overall health, stop. Because the more one do , the more it decreases your chances.

Work Cited
Padnani, Amisha. "The Power of Music, Tapped in a Cubicle." The New York Times. The New York Times, 11 Aug. 2012. Web. 26 Apr. 2016.
"Should You Listen to Music While You Study?" USA TODAY College. N.p., 10 Sept. 2012. Web. 26 Apr. 2016.
"The Impact of Listening to Music on Cognitive Performance." RSS. N.p., n.d. Web. 26 Apr. 2016.