Master Sargent Howie | Teen Ink

Master Sargent Howie

By hailey629 BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
hailey629 BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware

Educator of The Year
What teacher comes to your head when someone asks you what teacher you look up to? Almost everyone has a teacher that has impacted them positively throughout middle or high school. We all look up to that one teacher. A teacher that I look up too is Master Sargent Howie. Master Sargent Howie is my naval science instructor. He served many years in the Marine Corps and stands out in his uniform and being over 6 feet tall. Master Sargent is a very relaxed, caring, and forgiving teacher.
Going to Masters Sargent’s class first thing in the morning is always a good way to start off the school day. Our naval science class is usually really easy and relaxed. We have academic days Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. Thursday is inspection and Friday is pt day. Master Sargent’s class is relaxed because whenever we get done our work early, he lets us have free time with friends and time to do other classwork. He also shows us movies that relate to the topic we are talking about and when it is nice outside, he sometimes takes us out for class.
Another reason I look up to Master Sargent is because he is very caring. He always tells us stories that he knows we can relate to. He also tells us stories from when he was on duty for the Marines. He constantly gives us advice about life and relationships. He understands that we all want to do good in our school work so he gives us extra credit classwork that is easy to bump up our grade.
Master Sargent is also my favorite teacher because he is very forgiving. For example, he does not yell at the class. He gives us second chances on tests and quizzes if we didn’t do well on them. Master Sargent is a very nice and caring teacher. He pushes us to do our best every day and tells us to never to give up. He is not a very serious teacher. He is more laid back and jokes around a lot which is very rare to find in many teachers.
Teachers make a large impact on student’s lives and how they live them. It is very important to realize what teachers do for your future. Many students do believe that they don’t but you don’t realize it until you actually have to know the things they teach you. That’s a major reason why Master Sargent Howie is my favorite teacher and why I look up to him.  It is also the reason why I am nominating him for my Educator of The Year.