Pollution Awareness Argument | Teen Ink

Pollution Awareness Argument

By MorganBennett BRONZE, Glenpool, Oklahoma
MorganBennett BRONZE, Glenpool, Oklahoma

There should be more awareness projects to fight pollution. Pollution has been a problem in the world, but in America, it cannot be ignored. It is harmful to our environment and more people, plants, and animals die yearly because of it. To keep our atmosphere clean, more pollution awareness projects should be in action. If we don’t do something about this problem our species could die out and soon enough there won't be any human beings left because pollution harms human health along with our surroundings. This is an argument because some people might want to help out with it but then realize that they're only one person out of billions that is actually helping out, but then think that Americans won't do anything to help and they give up. What we need is somebody who won't give up and can encourage others to aid with the cause.

The first reason why we should have more pollution projects is because it can harm and endanger our environment. Water is necessary for life, but it gets contaminated by mining activity, improperly disposed-of waste, waste treatment plants, and agricultural runoff. When the water is contaminated, that means it is polluted. This is a form of pollution, water pollution, can harm the environment in many different ways. It can sink into the ground, water plants with poison, or put off fumes that contaminate the air as well. As Americans, we build many different buildings for no good reasons into places we shouldn't disturb. The things released by these buildings, carbon monoxide and methane, get trapped inside the Earth and warm it up. This leads to global warming and climate change, but there'll be more about that later. Global warming and climate change is caused from air pollution, and if the Earth is exposed to the air we breathe, who knows what could happen. Factories that were built in the nono zones emit smog and acid rain, precipitation with high levels of hydrogen ions. Smog forms a toxic layer over the area it was built by and keeps the sun from getting to it, pretty chilling, huh?

Additionally, more projects and efforts against pollution would want to make people take action. Usually after acknowledging the problem, more companies, buildings, schools, and families will try to help out. Companies like Starbucks and Staples have made more eco friendly products after hearing about the Earth’s endangerment. Heard of bandwagoning? It happens a lot here, whether it’s a sports team, a new trend, or a super cool thing somebody's doing for the weekend that helps keep the Earth clean. Sympathy is also big here. There are many commercials of sad homeless dogs trying to get you to donate or adopt a dog. Just a picture of a happy family helping on the highway could acknowledge some of your 12 emotions.

With pollution, more plants, animals, and humans die yearly with pollution than without it. Pollution affects more than 100 million people. Whether this be killing or infecting them, it’s a big number. People in more polluted areas like California and New York have a 20% higher risk of dying from lung cancer. That means around 1,400,000,000 people could die from one disease. Remember global warming? 300,000 animals die yearly from it. The atmosphere Earth has melts the ice in places like the North and South Poles and warms up the places that polar bears and penguins aren’t used to and die.

Some may address that there are enough pollution projects being done already, but if we put more out and keep addressing the problem more, more will want to help. The opponent might say that helping with pollution won’t help for long and we’ll just keep polluting. Again, if we get enough people to help and focus on getting more projects out there, it will help.

We need more awareness projects on pollution because it endangers the Earth, more efforts will tell people the problems, and more living things die with it. Pollution harms the environment, more projects will help, and living things are dying because of pollution. Why aren’t we getting more awareness on it? Pollution harms and kills, are you aware?