Depression | Teen Ink

Depression

By Ondie BRONZE, San Diego, California
Ondie BRONZE, San Diego, California

Imagine this: You are failing your classes and found out you have a disease, you go into a deep depression, you feel like you can’t do anything and everyone who talks feels like they are talking about you, you feel like you should cut yourself or kill yourself since everyone who went through depression says they cut themselves or try’d suicide because they couldn’t handle it anymore. Has this ever happened to you? If you said yes then there are ways of getting help like talking to trusted friends or a therapist, if you can’t  do this there are other ways of getting help like exercising and many other ways of getting help but you have to want help. I strongly believe that actually wanting help will help you with depression because if you don’t want help then some of these solutions won’t help and might make your depression worse. Now for my first topic why talking to a trusted friend helps with depression.

Why talking with trusted friends helps with depression. A reason why  you should talk with a trusted friend is because you are more likely to be open about talking about your depression compared to a stranger. When talking with a friend you will probably have a friend who has dealt with depression, if you don’t just talk with a trusted friend they will probably understand even if they haven’t experience depression. You can ask a friend who has dealt with depression if you can talk about it and what you have been through since you had depression. If they don’t feel like talking about it ask them if they can give tips about how they dealt with. If they don’t want to talk about it or give tips then you should talk with a therapist. This leads me to my next topic of why talking about your depression with a therapist helps.

Why talking about depression with a therapist helps. Why you should talk with a therapist is because they are more likely to have experience with patients who have had depression and have beat it just from talking with a therapist. Research shows that people who have depression don’t get better because they don’t want help and could have depression for days, weeks, months, and even years if they don’t feel like looking for help (Webmd, 2005-2016). When talking with a therapist they can be very persuasive and encourage you to do things that you don’t usually do like go exercising everyday to let the thoughts go away, a therapist might say “how about we give you a motive to accomplish at the end of every week to cheer you up”, or they might suggest that you make a routine and follow it everyday to lift your spirits by accomplishing that task to make you happy. If you talk to a therapist they are more likely to push you to your limit on how bad your depression is. If you have clinical depression they might be more likely to tell you to go see a doctor and make sure you’re getting the right medication to help with your depression. A therapist might ask you questions like what type of depression you have or how is it affecting your everyday life, a therapist might ask you these questions to get a understanding of what type of depression you have like if you have seasonal affective disorder, chronic depression etc. Now for my last topic of why exercising helps with depression.

A reason why exercising helps with depression is that when you exercise you are letting some of those emotion out and will feel more relax than being sad or angry and trying to cut or kill yourself. You can add exercising to you daily routine in the hours you get really sad or mad because between these hours you might get the urge to do something you don’t want but if you exercise there are more of a chance that the urge will go away and you won’t feel as sad or mad as much as before. Research shows that regular exercise reduces stress, improves sleep, boost self-esteem, and ward off feeling of anxiety and depression. Research also shows while that exercising will strengthens your heart, increases your energy levels, lowers blood pressure, improves muscle tone and strength, strengthens and builds bones, helps reduce body fat, and makes you look fit and healthy (Webmd, 2005-2016). Just from exercising you can help your depression and become more healthy and reduce the more times you might experience depression. Research show even more that there are more ways of exercising that will help depression if you prefer a type, cycling, dancing, gardening, walking during golf instead of using a cart, housework like sweeping, vacuuming, and mopping, jogging at a pace, low impact acrobatics, playing tennis, swimming, walking , yard work like mowing or raking, and yoga (webmd, 2005-2016). Choose an exercise that is fun to you it can help and you might not even consider it a exercise and might not know that it is actually helping you while you do something fun that you like to do. This leads me to my conclusion.

In conclusion, a reason why i think that actually wanting help, helps you is because without wanting help then what is the point of trying things that will help even if you know that the treatments might not even work. Talking with friends can help you without you even knowing and could benefit you and your friend if they are also depressed, if you decide to chose a friend who has already been through depression and they refuse to help you can go and talk to a therapist. Talking with a therapist helps since the therapist should have experience and helped with people who have suffered from depression with all varieties and maybe even worse depression than the one you could have or have, a therapist or a doctor might ask you to exercise. Exercising helps with depression since when you exercise your letting off some stress you may have and could prevent depression or lessen the effect of depression you might have. Do you have a friend or family member who suffers from depression, or you think might develop depression?

This is an argument essay about helping you deal with Depression