Memphis | Teen Ink

Memphis

Now, I have been to Memphis, TN so many times. But there’s one thing I’ll never get used to and that’s how long it takes to get there. 19 hours straight through in the car and that’s without traffic. Imagine sitting in one spot all day in the same position, legs cramping up, bored out of your mind, I hate it.

Once we finally get to Memphis, where my mom is originally from, we’re always welcomed with a table full of food. Back in the day when I used to live down there my great grandmother always, and I mean always had a table full of food when we woke up in the morning. The table didn’t just have breakfast food, it held breakfast, lunch and dinner. I went down there one summer and came home blown up like a balloon, my mom still laughs about that till this very day.

Memphis is known for so many things, its food, It’s Sun Studio, and how can I forget about the Graceland! I can attest to Memphis’ food quality, it’s delicious. I have never ate anywhere that the food has outdone anything in Memphis. The food is mouthwatering. The Rendezvous Restaurant is a very popular barbeque spot that is owned by Charlie Vergo’s, many celebrities have been known to dine there.

Sun studio was where very popular artist have recorded at, people even think of them as legends in the music industry. Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash and even Ike Turner has recorded here. 18 year old Elvis recorded his old blues song called “That’s Alright, Mama.” at this studio. Ike Turner recorded “Rocket88” there also. Johnny Crash even recorded his albums there as well.

Graceland is one of Memphis’ most popular attractions. Its Elvis Pressley’s mansion! How exciting is that? You can tour his mansion and even see his airplanes and automobiles. Even though I have never been inside, I’ve seen the outside of his place and it looks great. I want to visit so badly. Graceland was Elvis last home and it’s also where he died. The tour is of his whole house and his 22 cars he has. You also can step aboard his two airplanes. People have constantly praised their visits to Elvis’ home.

"Me and the wife did the Platinum tour passes and had a great time."

“You can keep on going there and it’s like he’s right there with you”

“The tour was good.  Of course the house is still decorated as when Elvis lived there.  Gives you a glimpse into 70's tacky decor.  Shag carpet and zebra print.  It was really enjoyable.”

I could go on and on about Graceland but I’ll end it here.

When I visit Memphis, I actually never visit anything historical. I get so caught up in my family and time fly’s by. I have such a big family, it’s still family I haven’t even met yet. I also never even go to any restaurants because they cook so much food that I’m never hungry. For some reason they don’t understand why I’m so small. They are always telling me I need to eat more or how they need to fatten me up. In my head I’m thinking “I know for sure I probably eat more than all of you”. But of course I don’t voice that. I’ll get my tongue snatched out of my mouth….

Okay I won’t get it that bad. The elders in my family do not tolerate what they call, talking back. So I just smile and laugh. Kind of like the penguins from the movie Madagascar when skipper says “Just smile and wave boys, smile and wave.”

In Memphis they are so much friendlier than here in Philly where I live. While we don’t speak to each other, In Memphis everyone speaks. I always hear “Good morning”, or “How you doing’ ” But I have also learned that it is still very dangerous as it is in Philadelphia. It may seem more peaceful and the air fresher but it’s dangerous. The FBI ranked Memphis the 3rd most dangerous city in the US. Meanwhile I have never experienced or seen anything of violence when I visit Memphis. Every time I go when I leave out the door I feel nothing but good vibes.

The reason I actually love to go to Memphis is because of my mom. She absolutely loves going back home. She says it so peaceful and she loves to see her dad. Every time we go my mom always has a smile on her face. And just like me she love to eat. Like mother, like daughter. So if I have to endure 19 torturous hours of discomfort 3 times a year so that my mom can be happy, then so be it.

Memphis Tennessee is a very interesting, historical place and I think everyone should one day visit Graceland. It’s a great experience with great food. How can it get much better than that?