Changing | Teen Ink

Changing

If I can change, you could, too!

It all started inn 9th grade when I left my old school uncivilized, wild, and with no feelings; it was all about me.  You couldn’t tell me anything; it was my way or no way! I had no sympathy. Picture me as a 5’7in tall, chubby, 17 year old girl. I started with straight F’s and D’s, now I’m getting A’s and B’s. Let me tell you how it all started.

I came from a family of four girls and a single mother. It was tough without my father in my life. I was angry at the world, just because most of my friends had dads. Ninth grade year I thought to myself, since my dad didn’t care about me, why should I care about my life? I came into 9th grade with that attitude. I didn’t want to do any work, I left school when I wanted, and everything would push my buttons. The first thing that came to me was, “fight!” I was violent with no control. In other words, I didn’t know how to control my anger. My mom tried everything: therapy, counseling, and anger management. Nothing worked! I caused my mom a lot of stress. My school had enough; they sent me out and sent me to a transitional school. This school is for children that have problems succeeding in a regular class because of behavior issues.

The first day I came, I learned the whole structure. A couple of people were cool and I fit in perfectly! Still, I had the same attitude. I didn’t care about anything. I started to meet new people and hanging with the wrong crowd. I would explode every other day and my mom had to come up to the school two times a week. I was the most disrespectful kid you could ever meet. I still had no structure, but as time flew by I wanted to change. I just didn’t know how or why to start.

Day by day, I started taking it easy. I had support from most of the staff and my favorite director of the school. I started working on my anger and how to control it. I realized that fighting wasn’t always a way of solving the problem. I was learning that fighting was pointless and you get NOTHING out of it, but a couple of bruises and a sore body. Things were getting better, but my temper was still the same. I tried every day to not let that get in my way. That all changed when one day in our group meeting at school, we talked about how our temper would get us nowhere, but in jail or even killed.

After all the talks, guidance, and support, I woke up one morning, looked in the mirror, and told myself, “I am ready to change!” Days went by and all the teachers noticed something was different with me. I was trying to get better and I did! Although I still got angry, I knew just how to control it: just walk away. It’s not worth it.

Now today, you wouldn’t be able to recognize who I am. I did a whole 180! I get straight A’s a B’s. My temper is somewhat under control; I’m still working on it, but it’s much better than before. My message to everyone is do not let anything get in the way of chasing your dreams. Don’t wait until the last minute to change. If I did it, I know you could, too. Open your eyes; your support people want what’s best for you. A change starts with you. Do what I did: look in the mirror and tell yourself, “Today is the day I want to start changing.” It’s going to take some time, but y’all can do it!

I wrote this because it was a big change in my life and I want to inspire others to change.