Human Interaction as Illustrated by "The Cold Within" | Teen Ink

Human Interaction as Illustrated by "The Cold Within"

By ZoeElsa GOLD, Kamas, Utah
ZoeElsa GOLD, Kamas, Utah

What is the true portrayal of the essence of human emotion and sin? The poem “The Cold Within” is that true portrayal that humans have been pondering on for years.

Firstly, for me, this poem doesn’t just mean letters strung together to make words mixed in with iambic pentameter. This shows how prejudice and pride can wreck the lives of all those who come in contact with these negative feelings. Illustrating the pure ideas of judgement and revenge, this poem tells a tale filled with woe. This really opened up my eyes to the judgment that we cast on others, for in this group each man had his own faults and the others judged him accordingly so. Concludingly, I enjoyed how this showed an impacting subject in a new way.

Additionally, though hard to believe, this poem is linked to much more than judging others. Geography isn’t just the study of the continents and the oceans; it is how the world and its populous interact. Many poems and stories have been written about the ways people have interacted with this planet. This singular poem seamlessly links how our own misjudgements influence ourselves, our communities, and everything that we do and say. In interacting with each other, they were illustrating the population and how we can make judgements so easily and how our actions affect other. Imagine if only one had put in his own stick, therefore helping others and putting himself up for judgment. Any singular person could have done this, but none did for various reasons. If we can be that person to interact well and not selfishly we can help others. To conclude, the men interacted with each other very poorly, affecting themselves and those around them.

Moreover, in considering these negative feelings, have we thought of where they came from in the first place? When we see someone, we presume things. It is just a pure fact of life. When we impose our presumed misconceptions of others, it makes us not consider what they are going through. We can be blinded by our own misconceptions and thoughts of how they are, not who they are. Our judgments are a large problem in the world today and need to stop. If we learn more and don’t judge I believe that misunderstandings such as this can be lessened. Summarizing, if we do not make misplaced conceptions we can hopefully avoid these negative feelings and actions.

Furthermore, not accepting differences is also a large problem today. If we cannot accept someone else for who they are then we give others the right to judge us as well. This problem can be detrimental to the emotional health of everyone, and so we need to make it a goal to try to accept others. Lastly, we need to accept others for who they are to help make the world a better place.

In conclusion, the poem “The Cold Within” addresses many problems in the world today. If we can solve these problems then we can make the world a better place. “An eye for an eye makes the world blind.” This affluent saying is was said by one of the brightest minds of the last century. Through the regime of an oppressive ruler, this peaceful man created a thought that would rock the world for years due to its portrayal of human emotion and sin. If we don’t take revenge and are kind instead we can help others and ourselves to see a new age. This is a great example of how we should be treating each other to help solve today’s problems. In summation, the influential poem “The Cold Within” addresses many problems that we ourselves can solve if we do not judge. 

This is an article about human interaction and how "The Cold Within" relates to this.