The Last Dragon | Teen Ink

The Last Dragon

By treading_on_9 BRONZE, Benalla, Other
treading_on_9 BRONZE, Benalla, Other

I gaze out across the valley from my perch on the cold, gray cliff. I watch a band of knight?s ride toward me, scarlet flags with white lions flying in the light breeze. They are followed by a crowd of villagers eager to view my slaying. I close my eyes for a moment, digging deep inside my fiery heart, and then I lift my head, letting a flame twenty yards long stream from my mouth.
I see the knights look up, pointing at me, and I can hear the word shouted and whispered from each human?s lips. ?Dragon.? I spread my wings, each the span of twenty feet and cloaked in deep sapphire and sparkling silver. I rise up, my great snake like body impressive in the misty morning air. With my hawk?s vision, I find the lead knight and fix upon him the glare of my colour shifting eyes and let loose another flame. ?Dragon.? All the people are shouting again.
The villagers and knights begin to shout and yell, and a few of them begin to turn back and run. I smile, revealing my teeth that are as sharp as swords. I turn and begin walking down the mountainside so no one can see me, planning to meet the slaughter party at their base.
As I walk, my wings pulsing and my tail lashing against all the stones around me, shattering them into a thousand flying pieces, I think about the cause of this whole conflict. I have done Nothing it is just every one has a problem with my size and my power and it frightens all the people into the thought that I must be dangerous. But really, I am nothing compared to some dragons. Like my brother Keicro, with his beautiful amber skin and deep crimson wings he seemed to have the sunset painted onto his scales.
I shut out the thought, gritting my teeth into a small grin trying to smile but I can?t. After what they did to Keicro, after what those humans did to my family ? to put me to death for an imagined crime ? after the mass slaughter of those I loved, I am not going to let them get away with this, they have done it before but not again.
I look ahead, with a big crowd of people coming into view. I will think of my family as I battle as the great scaly beasts that dropped from the skies like stones and the blank eyes of those who had already passed into the next world while swords flashed like silver death. Tattered banners flew as arrows rained down every where just missing people and me. I start to think about my family my mum and dad died this way. As flashes and memories go through head it reminds me of my family, which is good because it is making me stronger and giving me heaps of strength.
I leap off the ground and fly right into the valley and land with a crash noise as I knock over some barrels and tables standing, all of the knight?s step back while the villagers flee to hide behind the boulders scattered throughout the lush green grass and trees of the valley. I let loose a ground-shaking roar, and a gigantic flame came out of my mouth like I have never done before. The leader of the knights slides off his horse and draws his sword, stepping bravely to fight me. I stare at him with an evil look through the morning mist, my eyes shifting from smoky shadows to glittering turquoise to intense amethyst. The knight glares back at me with his evil bronze eyes. Then all of a sudden I recognized his evil bronze eyes.
I see a scene play before my eyes. Keicro lies on the blood stained ground, eyes closed, and his last breath escaping his lips. A knight pulls his sword from my brother?s side with blood all over it, it was my brother?s blood and as he turns I can see his eyes. They are a gleaming bronze with evil in them. The knight turns away and wipes his blade on the grass.
I can?t control the rage boiling inside me, so I release it in a stream of fire. The warrior dodges and narrowly avoids the flickering red and gold of the flame. I snort with annoyance. I lift my wings, spreading them so wide they block the rising sun, putting the cowering humans into darkness. I roar and through my wings around just missing all the people. I rise into the air, feeling my wind help me mount the sky. I take a deep breath, feeling the winged beast stir in my blood. I feel at ease off the ground, the spaciousness of the air. I open my eyes and turn to the knight. I swoop down on him, seeing nothing but the man who murdered my brother.
The evil bronze eyed warrior takes a swipe at me with his sword, but I knock it away and send him flying through the air, I fly after him and catch him in my iron claws, pinning him against the grass. He looks up at me. I smile my teeth white and long and as sharp as swords.
How does it feel? I want to ask him. How does it feel to be small and helpless? How does it feel? Does it feel terrible, like a cold wind that races through your blood and chills your heart? Do you feel the terror?
I look deep into his eyes, and I am surprised. In this man?s eyes, the man who I have hated for years for the death of my brother, I see fear, not for himself but for his family. I am drawn into his mind by my natural power of telepathy and I see a woman with blond hair falling in waves down her back and by her feet a small child. The small child only comes up to the woman?s knee and its eyes are bronze also, curiosity and innocence swirling within. And then I see the woman, obviously the knight?s mate, lying on a bed, sweating from fever and crying out. I see his little girl crying, afraid for her mother.
I stare at this man and realize that, while I have lost my family, he is in danger of losing his. I try to convince myself that it is what he deserves, but I just cannot. No one should ever have to lose their loved ones, Never.
I lift my claw to release him but as I do, I feel a pain in my foreleg and turn to see another knight attacking me. I roar and bat him away with my wing, but another knight attacks me and then another and another. Suddenly I am surrounded by yelling humans swinging swords and sinking them into my flesh. I roar and swipe at them, but they keep coming back at me.
I try to burn them with another flame but my aim is compromised as a human manages to pierce my stomach, and I bellow as I fall down to the ground roaring. And then they are standing around me, the noise and screaming bringing me back to the bloodbath they created so many years ago. I see my family members fall before my eyes and realize that it is now my turn to die. . .
Suddenly all the people stop yelling and swinging swords at me and all is quiet. I hear the breathing of the horses, the pounding hearts of the villagers watching.

I hear the wind whispering to me in the voices of my lost family and I ease my eyes open. Standing before me is the knight with his evil bronze eyes. He takes a step toward me cautiously, and while I do not try to cremate him, he takes another step. Soon he is right beside me. Carefully, he lays his hand on my face, looking into my eyes. He whispers something to me, but I cannot understand his language. Instead I look into his eyes and there is a question. I think a moment, and then nod.
Yes, I think, feeling that I could cry if I had not exhausted my tears years ago. I am the last dragon.
He leans forward and lays his head on my cheek and whispers again. I cannot understand the words, but I understand the feeling of sorrow and the rhythm of the words is so comforting. I close my eyes and I see Keicro. He says something, though I cannot hear him. A white light appeared right in front of me and the faces of my family appear around me. They are all saying the same thing and at last I can hear the words.
Come home, Liljuka. Come home to your family.
I smile, tears falling down my cheeks as I fly to meet them. I do not have to be alone anymore. I do not have to be angry in that lonely existence ever again.
The knight stands, looking down at the ground. He is too late. The sun reflects off my deep blue scales in a mockery of life, but the dragon is already gone. The knight wipes the wetness from his eyes and turns back to his men. He walks silently to his horse, and rides back toward the village.
The villagers and knights watch him leave with silent confusion. This should be a moment of celebration but the air is weighted down with sorrow and regret. The great dragon lies still, lifeless and sad. Soon the crowd begins to leave, trying to escape this scene.
The bronze eyed knight plods along on his horse, thoughts of his wife and child swirling in his mind. He sighs so heavily that it is almost a sob. He feels a cool breeze on his back and looks up. The morning mist is almost completely gone, but as he looks up at the sun he sees a shadowy image pass through the remaining mist. The shape is familiar.
He smiles when he sees a flash of blue and silver through the haze. I have came back I could of stayed with my family, but I choose my life instead.

The knight with the bronze eyes yelled ?look its Liljuka, The last dragon she is still alive.? Another one of the nights yelled ?get her.? But none of the people listened and they all kept walking and ignored him.
I really want to get revenge now but I should forgive them in regards they will leave me in peace so I can do what I want and live how I wish to. The town made a statue in remembrance of me and I lived around the town, and lived for about another generation, I lived up to be 173 years old, as me being the last dragon the town was in misery for weeks when I left them. I am living in a place that no body no?s of with my family and a heaps of my friends, The man with the bronze eyes was even there wait for my time to end so I could be with him and every one else.