Fahrenheit 451 | Teen Ink

Fahrenheit 451

By Haleigh_C BRONZE, Wagram, North Carolina
Haleigh_C BRONZE, Wagram, North Carolina

“It's our choices that matter in the end. Not wishes, not words, not promises.”
― Alexandra Bracken, Passenger

Fahrenheit 451, a book-to-movie adaptation that was directed by Francois Truffaut and written by Jean-Louis Richard. The book Fahrenheit 451 was originally written by Ray Bradbury in 1953, and the movie came more than ten years after in 1966. Some of the key actors are Oskar Werner as Guy Montag, Julie Christie as Linda Montag and Clarisse Mcclellan, and Cyril Cusack as Captain.  Fahrenheit 451 follows the main character, Guy Montag, who is a firemen. In his day and age, firemen set fires instead of putting them out because houses are fireproof. Firemen hunt for books to burn them and they take the owner of the books and arrest them. After Montag meets a twenty year old woman who looks an awful like his wife, he begins to question everything he’s known as a fireman.

The differences between the book and the movie are, unlike some book-to-movie adaptations, at often times irritating. One of the biggest differences is the woman that he meets. In the book, he meets Clarisse, a crazy seventeen year old, who later disappears and only the word from his wife about her passing to go on. While the movie, he meets a twenty year old school teacher named Clarisse who at often times during the movie is found watching him from afar. Clarisse helps him throughout the movie and never “passes”. Montag’s wife, Linda was originally Mildred in the book as well along with the lack of a main character named Faber who aids Montag in the book, is also agitating.

Through most of the movie I found myself very uncomfortable, whether it was the music, or the perhaps just what was happening in the scene. There is an awkward transition, or dream that is often used, where the music and the coloring is a bit much. Some scenes like when Montag was chased by men, pretty much hanging by strings are unnecessary. Other scenes from the book such as when Faber, a missing character and Montag speak about what he wants is vital to the theme of the story. Clarisse and Linda, played by actress Julie Christie, made me feel like it wasn’t real and at often times gave me a creepy feel.

Overall, I did not exactly enjoy the movie but sometimes it was so bad, that it would have been good as a comedy. The differences, having read the book, made me not like the movie as well. The uncomfortable feeling that I had frequently through the movie made his hard to watch and I found myself often looking away. Taking into mind the movie was ahead of it is time and there would be mistakes, because that’s how it was in their time, I would rate this two out of five stars.

I wrote this piece for my English class.