Kate. | Teen Ink

Kate.

By alexrenteria BRONZE, Arlington, Texas
alexrenteria BRONZE, Arlington, Texas

Kate desperately sobbed in my forearms on our last night together. She asks, "Why?!" and I am speechless. I have no words to console the love of my life because I too feel as if I am in an abyss of darkness. 
I feel as if this is my fault. I didn't mean to, of course, I didn't. Why would I? She is the sun, and I am the flower, soaking in all that the sun has to give me. But we can't be together. I can't keep being a burden to her life. She has a broad future ahead of her, and I don't. I am just a guy in a dance crew with dreams of becoming an international soccer sensation in the future. I don't like school, I despise it. I only managed to get through high school, and then I put a standstill on my education. I don't have much to offer her, and her parents know that. They don't know that my love is truly sincere for their daughter. I don't have a choice. Sooner or later, I will face problems with the police. Her parents have decided to put a restraining order on me because they don't approve of me. I have to go away. This is why Kate and I are eating the bread crumbs of our affection tonight under the waves of stars.
   I remember the first day when I met her. She was at a block party, and I was there with my crew. I didn't notice her right away. Not until the party was over. The guys and I were leaving, and Kate was cleaning up the park where it took place. She was humming along to a song. I don't recall the name, although I knew the song. She glanced up at me and stopped for a moment before going back to her duty. Chris then threw something on the floor. He expected for her to pick it up. The guys grinned. Kate picked up her trash bag and moved someplace else. I went after her. I said to her, "Hey, sorry he just went a bit past his drinking limit. Don't think that were jerks or something. We're not, at least I am not."  You said, "It's cool" and looked me in the eyes.  I felt a churn in my stomach. I then headed for my car, but then quickly decided to go back. "Hey, would you like to go out sometime? Like on a date?", I asked. At that moment I thought to myself, "Of course not, why would she?" But no. You said, "Yeah that seems like fun." It was set. The spring of our correspondence. 
I have never felt this way for anyone else. It keeps me up at midnight. I cannot control how much I feel for her. Do you ever just lay in bed and think about the millions of outcomes your partner will bring you? It wasn't the long nights on the train after my soccer games. Kate resting her head on my shoulders. Her eyes closed while I feel this sensation of peace running over me. It wasn't the 6-am races to Frederick's to drink our daybreak coffee right before her violin lessons. It was her. Everything comes easier when I am around her. I focus better, I do better. Her sense of humor was the best part. She was really cheesy. I am really going to miss her puns. She was just the right size for me. Her head brushed my chin, but she could still reach up and taste my lips. Her eyes are the color of freshly brewed coffee. Her hair is the honey in a bee's nest. I saw sparks every time I saw her.
Our relationship was a rollercoaster of emotions. I'm devastated at the fact that it has come to an end. I see a piece of me inside of her as I lay my arms around her slumped shoulders. Will I be able to live without her?