Don't Bite the Hand That Feeds You | Teen Ink

Don't Bite the Hand That Feeds You

By TazkiaA BRONZE, BRONX, New York
TazkiaA BRONZE, BRONX, New York

“Don’t bite the hand that feeds you” is a popular moral that a lot of people swear by. But is it really valid in all situations with no exception?

Recently, Black Lives Matter which is a racial injustice movement has caused uproar in the U.S. Many people supportive of it are protesting against cops killing unarmed African Americans. Contrastingly, many other people are frowning upon the ones who are a part of the movement, coming up with the phrase “All Lives Matter”. Those people are quick to dismiss the cause behind BLM and condemn protesters. The BLM protesters are called racist, un-American and accused of dividing our community. However the criticizers fail to realize that Americans have the right to protest against injustice because even in a community, people have individual rights.

At times, big communities mistreat smaller communities due to their differences. For years, minority groups in America have endured injustice against their race due to systematic racism that still exists in our country. On July 5, 2016, Alton Sterling, a 37-year-old black man, was shot several times at close range while held down on the ground by two white police officers in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. This incident can be compared to the death of Eric Garner, a Staten Island man who was suspected of illegally selling cigarettes and died in the summer of 2014 after a police officer put him in a chokehold.

Many other similar incidents have occurred in our country that fuel movements like BLM; which makes us realize we need to acknowledge the importance of individualism alongside collectivism. We need to comprehend that community members are allowed to have their own ideas, own opinions, own rights. They are still unique human beings. It is unfair to ignore all the essential work individuals have done for our country and try to exclude them from our community just because their opinions don’t coordinate with some other members of the community. Individuals taking independent actions doesn’t exclude them from being a part of a bigger unity. And that is why, when BLM supporters are on the streets protesting against inequality, all americans should cheer them on instead of tearing their motives down.

“What, Of This Goldfish, Would You Wish” gives an example of the relationship between being individuals and being community members. In the story, Sergei’s character seems very isolated from the rest of his neighbors as he stated he prefers being by himself. That would indicate that he is more of an individual than a community member. However, later in the story it is revealed that when given the chance to make three wishes, he used all three for the benefit of not himself, but others around him. This demonstrates how you can maintain your individuality while being a part of a community.

Upon research, hundreds of other instances parallel to Alton Sterling or Philando Castile’s matter will unfortunately surface. It makes you think, should you really believe in “Don’t bite the hand that feeds you”? Even if the same hand abuses you behind the scenes? People who endure inequality and BLM supporters can portray their individualism by protesting against injustice, and still remain American, a significant part of our big community.