Homosexual through time | Teen Ink

Homosexual through time

By Thevoice654321 BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado
Thevoice654321 BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado

“Gay”, “F**”. These are the words that have been going around middle and high schools. These words are used as an insult. When did being gay become wrong, the literal meaning is HAPPY? But these words are slang  for being a homosexual. But still, when is being a homosexual wrong? It may come from the orgins with people and homosexuals that have been passed down to hate the different. Who knew that history could be so mean.

Churches, christianity, say that being gay is a sin and that you will burn in hell. So this got people to thinking that they should start to kill the homosexuals, so god would be pleased with them. This caused many homosexuals to go into hiding because they were too afraid of dieing. Remember this is the time that the killed people who were supposed to be witches. This was carried down to each generation, but got a lot less serious, to hate homosexuals because they are different. During the greatest segregated times like the civil rights movement homosexuals have been their and have been left out of the picture. In the last decade homosexuals have gone through a break through with the world accepting them for who the are, but is it enough? 

The Holocaust
The holocaust was a very troubling time for the people who were “different”. As you know, Jews, women, homosexuals,and non-german heritage people, were locked up in concentration camps to be killed. But when the war was over in 1945, Americans came to free these people from the concentration camps, but they didn’t free everybody. The untold story is that “When the Americans came to rescue they forced homosexuals to finish their sentence” says expert Rhyamon Johnson. Not a happy ending for everyone. Homosexuals always seem to be out of the picture for curriculum at schools. What is wrong about teaching kids about how cruel the world is, so they don’t repeat it. Teachers tell students, “We teach history, so history doesn’t repeat itself. Just like the Jews who had rough times throughout history, homosexuals have been there too.

The civil rights movement
Again we see another major segregated time.Everyone might think that they know everything that happened during this time. Like MLK, Rosa parks, and boycotting. But do these, so called experts, know everything that happened in this time. In the 1960’s, “LGBT activist groups started to boom”,said Kris Collett because of the major protest that had been going on. But during this time it would just be called LG groups. No one had really know what a bisexual was and even a transgender person. There were multiple parades with banners of the male symbol inside the male symbol and vise versa. It was this time when homosexuals started to come out of their shells and be open. They knew that know matter what happened; how many names that they got, or how many people who said that they would burn in hell, they would be proud of who they were and love who they loved. Groups like these thought that it would be getting to the government to allow same-sex marriage. Sadly, they lost the fight. The world was to caught up in the the colored vs. white dilimia. This is another part in history that schools don’t include into their curriculum. It wouldn’t be until almost 30 years more until the first place would allow same-sex marriage (Denmark 1989).

It gets better
The 2000’s were a great time for LGBT people. More and more people started to accept the same sex marriage. In 2000 the Netherlands allowed same sex marriage, and again in 2003 when Belgium did the same thing. And in 2005, Canada and spain joined the group.In 2006, South Africa allowed same- sex marriage. In 2009, Norway and Sweden joined the V.I.P room.In 2010, Iceland, Portugal, and Argentina hoped onto the boat. In 2013, Uruguay, England and Wales, let people love who the love. 2015 was a huge breakthrough for homosexual rights. Almost everywhere in Europe and all of the Americas’ homosexuals can get married. Although homosexuals have the right to marry, the world is still far from allowing homosexuals the same right as their hetrosexual counterpart. Many homosexuals are being harassed and many are losing their jobs because of who they love. The world needs to allow the homosexuals to come out and be happy for who they are; they shouldn’t feel ashamed for who they are. Let those around you love who they love.

This is an important topic to me, I am still sick of the discrimination of the lgbt community. I wrote this in 7th grade and nothing has changed since then.