Animal Bill of Rights | Teen Ink

Animal Bill of Rights

By avery.mann BRONZE, ROSEVILLE, California
avery.mann BRONZE, ROSEVILLE, California

Over 1 million animals a year are being abused or killed in cases connected with domestic violence. Every day, animals are manipulated by humans to do things that they find uncomfortable, or that violate their rights as living creatures on Earth. Humans and animals should have equal rights despite their barriers of language and communication. The way animal activists have been trying to bridge the language gap, and gain support for their cause is the Animal Bill Of Rights. The Animal Bill of Rights needs to be expanded and shared more vastly so people can start gaining a better understanding of the cruelty happening to animals, and what they can do to give animals a fair life.

There is no difference between slavery and animal abuse, or animal misuse. Animals are an important source to supporting humans in staying fed and getting work done, but there has to be a superior choice to abusing animals that can benefit both us and them. Animals, especially at farms or zoos should have the opportunity to live a full and natural life. They should not be raised for the purpose to be slaughtered, or to entertain humans. Animals all have lives, families, and feelings that deserve to be respected by humans. Just as human people go to work then go home and live their lives, animals should have a break from work, and should not be killed until they have lived a full life. Domestic animals should also live a life free from worry that they will be abused by their owner, starved, or use for human entertainment in dog fights or other illegal recreational activities. There is nothing to justify treated an animal any less than you would treat another human.

The Animal Bill of Rights is meant to protect animals that are, “Deprived of legal protection, animals are defenseless against exploitation and abuse by humans. Through the Animal Bill of Rights, the Animal Legal Defense Fund is working to show Congress a groundswell of support for legislation that protects animals and recognizes that, like all sentient beings, animals are entitled to basic legal rights in our society.” The Animal Bill of Rights website has stated that, “More than a quarter-million Americans have already signed the Animal Legal Defense Fund’s Animal Bill of Rights.” It is important to support this cause, not only by pledging online, but being a daily activist of animal rights so that we can begin limiting the number of animals killed and abused in a year.

People need to seriously look into the Animal Bill of Rights website, and consider taking action by donating, or sharing through social media. I believe it is important to continue making pledges online to keep the Bill of rights progressing. Animals deserve a voice, and a life free from fear. Animals should not be treated as less than us. We need more than words on a paper to keep animals safe though, so the Bill of Rights would be the stepping path to gaining a wider awareness for animals. The Animal Bill Of Rights will work to be the reasonable voice of a large group of the world’s population, animals, that do not communicate with humans.

Works Cited

Animal Bill of Rights ABOUT THE ISSUE Comments. N.p., n.d. Web. 21 Oct. 2016.
"Animal Cruelty Facts."

I wrote this for an OP-ED essay assignment in class, and Felt inspired to share my hard work.