Listen | Teen Ink

Listen

By morganelaine BRONZE, Cedar City, Utah
morganelaine BRONZE, Cedar City, Utah

Halloween was only one day away and the new haunted hospital had just opened. Sam invited me to opening night with her, that was surprising because she’s always been a scaredy cat. Everyone said not to go to the hospital because of some rumors about a girl who lured people in and then murdered them. I’ve never been one to listen to others.
As we got ready I pinned my flowy brown hair up into a messy bun, Sam did the same with her golden-brown hair. My eyeliner stretched past my eyelid creating a wing, wearing a wing was the new style. Sam never believed in wearing much makeup so she went all natural. Samantha is her real name but I call her Sam for short. She was absolutely beautiful but she didn't believe it about herself. She was taller than an average fourteen year old but her height was part of her beauty.
We arrived in a 2013 ford focus. Cars of all colors were pulling up in different directions, the place was packed. I felt like a beached whale. A worker, dressed as a nurse, formed the crowd into a long line that reached the other side of the street. We entered one by one. I waited for Sam when they sent me in so I could clench her arm when I got scared. I heard a voice that sounded like hers so I reached my hand back, long nails scraped against my dry, crusty elbows. It wasn't Sam. There was a tiny gust of wind from their breath that danced and tickled the baby hairs on the backside of my neck. I felt an immeasurable tug and then suddenly I was in a different room.
I opened my eyes just enough to see the transparent hairs from my eyelashes. There was a woman standing with her back towards me. She was clothed in a ripped dress, barefoot. Her hair looked like it hadn't been brushed in over a year, it was black, midnight black. My wispy, fearful voice spoke, “what do you want with me?” The woman slowly started turning around but had her eyes closed. I was flabbergasted when I saw her face. The skin around her mouth was blistered and pussy. Her forehead was covered in scrapes the size of a water bottle cap. I stood there staring and trying not to show fear. Suddenly she opened her eyes in a flash, she leaps toward me in a timely matter. I yelped and ran as fast as I could. She would hop side to side like a cheetah hunting down its prey, I didn't realize it then but she was leading me somewhere.
The woman stopped chasing me when I entered the door frame of a dark, musty room. I shoved myself up against the wall in fear.The walls were covered in goop that glided up the side. I glanced at her eyes, eyes of darkness. There was no color in her eye. There was no pigment in her skin. I was trapped. We stood there in unbearable silence. I yelled for Sam or somebody within distance. Nobody answered.

The woman started sweeping toward me slowly. My heart dropped to the echo of her footsteps. “Clunk, clunk.” She soared through the sky like batman and grabbed my throat. I was kicking and punching but it didn’t seem to affect her. My saliva gathered in clumps around my gums and teeth, without being able to swallow. Everything was a blur, I could hear nothing but my own screams as I sank to the floor. Everything was black.
My eyelids began to flicker rapidly as I regained consciousness. Tears melted down my face like a snowman in the summer. The woman lifted me up and snatched my arm, she threw me as my legs slid across the creaky floor. I tried to release a shout from my bruised throat but nothing was coming out.
She gridlocked when we got to a brown, mossy tub that looked like it used to be white. I looked over the edge to try and comprehend why she would bring me to the tub. It was filled with thick blood that was splattered up the side. I felt a shivering hand grab me by the neck with great force. The woman flung my body over the side and I smacked the bottom of the tub, landing with my tailbone first. She grasped my neck where the bruises had already taken place and bulldozed me into the tub, holding me down. In the moment I could feel every drop of blood peregrinate through my hair and across the tips of my toes. Bubbles emerged from my mouth as I tried to hold onto the last bit of oxygen. I could no longer move or shout. My body was still. I could feel all my thoughts emptying out of my head, but only one remained. I should have listened.