Wonder by R.J Palacio | Teen Ink

Wonder by R.J Palacio

By reillyl BRONZE, Kensington, New Hampshire
reillyl BRONZE, Kensington, New Hampshire

Wonder by R.J Palacio is a compelling novel about a boy facing his biggest fear and truly stepping into reality for the first time. Eleven year old August “Auggie” Pullman was born with severe genetic abnormalities.  Despite the 27 surgeries he had to try and fix his appearance, he still looks very different from the rest of us. Auggie feels normal on the inside like any other kid but knows he doesn’t look normal on the outside. He had always been homeschooled due to his protective mother but when his father decides it is time for Auggie to become an active part of society, he agrees to spend his 5th grade school year at Beecher Prep.

He had been used to the stares, the mean comments, and the horror stricken faces, but none of these things prepared him for school.  Auggie  immediately felt like an outcast. There is the typical group of “cool kids” at Beecher Prep that taunts Auggie by saying that nobody can touch him for fear of being infected.  Surprisingly two kids step out of the ordinary and befriend Auggie.  The two kids determine Auggie’s  physical appearance doesn’t matter to them as much as who Auggie is on the inside.

This book has truly delivered the message not to judge a book by its cover. Although Auggie may not have the ideal physical appearance, he is one of the happiest and most grateful children out there. The other kids in the book assumed that because of the way Auggie looked that he was weird and different from the rest of them. Much to their surprise, Auggie turned out to be the greatest friend anyone could have.

What makes this book so loveable is the way that R.J Palacio made Auggie a humorous and loving character. “Whatever you’re imagining, it’s probably worse” was one of the ways that Auggie used to describe his face.  Auggie found the joy in his life.  He didn’t dwell on bad situations and I think that was one of the most admirable aspects about him and the book.  The book contains humor and happiness while sharing a great message and story.

Wonder had the ability to make me laugh uncontrollably and cry till I had no tears left. You feel so involved with the storyline and characters that it is impossible to put the book down. Although it is a child’s novel, people of all ages should read this book.  The book sends a great messages of not judging a book by its cover.  The book also reinforces stepping out of your comfort zone to do the right thing. If you are looking for a heartwarming easy read, then sit down and face this book.