The Edge of Seventeen | Teen Ink

The Edge of Seventeen

By Bel_55 SILVER, Hemet, California
Bel_55 SILVER, Hemet, California

“The Edge of Seventeen” is an extravagant and unique movie that offers insight on the changing lives of  teenagers as they’re growing up. It takes the occasionally depressing reality of being halfway between child and adult, and turns it into something comical and hilariously awkward.    Nadine (Hailee Steinfeld) is a quirky high school junior with lacking social skills and a sense of style that needs immediate guidance. Her world turns upside down when her best, and only friend, Krista (Haley Lu Richardson) starts dating her all-star brother, Darian (Blake Jenner).    Once Nadine is at loss of friends and has nowhere else to go, she decides to eat lunch in  the office of one of her teachers (Woody Harrelson). He at first only offers  Nadine relentless sarcasm, but as the movie progresses he helps her through difficult times.        This character is one that isn’t necessarily needed, but the directors of the movie were wise in including him, since he is the main source of crude humor. What makes this movie so great is that everyone person can relate to it. All types of comedy are present which means everyone watching it should laugh at least once (I couldn’t stop laughing). You can’t help but love Nadine because she represents a small part of each of us, that in some way, is different from everyone else.     “The Edge Of Seventeen” is a must see movie that will make you forget about your own problems and have you laughing at the expense of someone else’s. Laughter is the best medicine so take a break and enjoy “The Edge Of Seventeen.”