Mail Call! | Teen Ink

Mail Call!

By Serenda PLATINUM, Nashotah, Wisconsin
Serenda PLATINUM, Nashotah, Wisconsin

Dear Veteran,

Right now you are on your way to Washington D.C. A window to one side, a fellow hero to the other. You all are here for a reason. You are a hero. I want you to know that we all greatly appreciate what you have done for our country. No matter if you chose to join or were enlisted, you made a huge impact in the country we call home today.

War is not a happy time in our country and should not be taken for granted. Sacrifices are made every day. Many lives have been lost. No one knows how war truly is until you experience it first hand, and I can’t imagine what you have gone through. This is a time to reflect on what you have done for our country. Many lives have been benefitted without knowing it by the actions you have made. For that, you should be proud of what you have done. This is a day for you.

The greatest generation is slowly fading away, but the memories and sacrifices all of you heroes have made will still remain for centuries. I’m only 17 and a high school student from Wisconsin. I haven’t lived long enough to see how the world really is. Most of my life I’ve been taken care of by my parents or friends. Being so young, I don’t know how the real world is quite yet, but you do. You’ve seen how important life is. You know the sacrifices people have made. That’s an important thing to know in life, but it’s also a hard thing to deal with.

When you visit the memorials in Washington D.C., I want you to not only remember those who have fallen, but to reflect on what you have done for this country. Everyone may not say this, but we all do appreciate what you have done and where your actions has taken us. Thank you for your service and sacrifice. You are a true hero.